Happy being pecked....

Rick0601

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
I'm fully expecting that nothing can be done about this, but here we go.....

One of my three hens loves a good peck at the other two. The pair getting pecked are almost constantly in a disheveled state - stubbly necks and down feathers showing on their backs. Meanwhile the pecker is in seemingly perfect nick. This is so frustrating. Our otherwise healthy and happy birds look like they've been neglected! Worst of all THEY STAND THEIR AND TAKE IT!! Why don't they try and keep away from her? Why don't they give some back!?

They definitely don't have any mites or other pests.

Anybody got any ideas of how we can manage this?

Thanks.

Remove the Pecker! If you put the pecker in a cage for a couple weeks or more. The other hens will feel in control of where they are----after she is gone. Then in a couple weeks or so re-introduce the pecker----The others then might not put up with her pecking.

If that does not work, if the Pecker is properly cleaned, and put in hot water for a while, not only will she taste good, but the pecking days will be over.

Can the peckees get away from the pecker?
How old are these birds and were they raised together??
Do they free range or are they confined to coop and run?
Pics of coop and run might help garner suggestions.

Are there places for the peckees to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

I have the exact same problem---I have tried using the chicken saddles for their bare backs however they just flip up and don't work.

Are you sure that if I remove the boss chicken the others won't just become more submissive?

Are you sure that if I remove the boss chicken the others won't just become more submissive?

If you are asking me this question? Picture this----67 chicken pens, hundreds of grown chickens, LOTS AND Lots of broody hens that are Always removed from the flock to set/hatch----always have to reintroduce them back into the flock when their chicks are big enough---problems happen when I do that with some breeds---I just always remove the Bully hen/hens allowing the x-broody back with the rooster and other not bully hens, then in a week or so I will put the bully hen back and if there is more than one bully I put them back 1 a day. Has Worked for me 99% of the time.

Just for info when I put the broody back with the hens she was with before being broody----No I do not introduce her chicks----No young chicks are Ever put with the older chickens on my place. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom