Happy Birthday Runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Four years ago today my phone rang and I heard, "This is George from the post office. Yer chicks are here."

Blink. Blink. Chicks?????? Today?????

Long story about that . . . . anyway,

I picked them up, and my life was forever changed for the better.

This morning we had a pea party first thing.

Thanks to all the BYC Duck Forum members past and present, who have contributed to my understanding and enjoyment.

Three years, fifty-one weeks ago, this is where we were. Complete with dialog from Momma Duck and her beloved.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    great video - thanks

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looking back, I see how helpful it was to have set up the brooder well ahead of time. I had a thermometer (one of the round kind, not a mercury thermometer) that was water resistant and could lie on the bottom of the brooder under the heat lamps. I knew I could get the brooder to 90˚F. I had a lid made of half inch metal hardware cloth that held the lamps and would keep kitty paws away should someone forget to close the door to the room. I had been reading Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and signed up here at BYC.

I had located sources for food, and started a medicine chest. I thought it was going to be a kit, but it turned into a chest.

What surprised me and kept me hopping and playing catchup: The speed at which the ducklings grew and their special relationship with water and that my flock did not sleep all night and were afraid of the dark.

They soaked the brooder overnight, lowering the temperature from 90 to 80. Water holds a lot of heat, towels hold a lot of water. I made great progress once I figured this out, but if there is ever a next time, I think I will either go with what tweetysvoice did, or what 70%cocoa did, or set up something similar to what I now have for the adult runners.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Love the video A, Happy Birthday Amigas Runners!!!

5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Great video! Ducks are such precious animals, and they have won my heart over the second I picked my first ducklings up from the post office. My life definitely changed for the better after getting ducks, no matter how many messes and poops they made :). They do grow way to fast though, I wish duckling raisers could have more time enjoying them as little babies :(. Although putting them outside for the first time and watching them forage and become DUCKS is unforgettable as well! Even though duck owners encounter losses, the joy and laughs of raising and keeping ducks shines through the pain of some losses. Thank you so much for this video Amiga!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats on four great years Amiga. Your flock is just lovely and well taken care of! [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Kevin565 [​IMG]

9. AbbeyRoad

AbbeyRoad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Congrats on 4 years of being a duck mommy! I bet they loved their pea party!

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A good time was had by all (c:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by