Happy Birthday to me and a questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shellyjimrye, Aug 14, 2013.

1. shellyjimrye

shellyjimrye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    Hi there everyone!!!

so yesterday was my birthday and low and behold when I went to check the chickens, there was my FIRST EGG EVER from my flock! They are all just about 4 months so I think that might be early?? Anyways.. besides my bragging I wanted to ask ...

do you all put in "fake" eggs into the nesting boxes to encourage the hens to lay in the boxes or do you just put in the nesting boxes now that they have laid their first egg?

Thanks in advance!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Happy (belated) birthday! And what a nice present from your flock! Some breeds may start laying very early, at around 16 weeks of age, though the average is closer to 25 weeks. What breed(s) have you got?

To answer your question, I only put an fake egg in the box to show my hens where I want them to lay after they laid their first eggs. Everywhere but in the box... But you can place an egg or 2 in there for them now.

3. shellyjimrye

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    I have a mixture of the following: Black Australorp, Ameraucanas, Danish Brown Leghorn, Buff Orpington, Buff Brahma, Cochin, Silkie, Blue Milefleur D'uccle, and Black Tailed Buff Japaneese. I didnt have any nesting boxes out for they are just 16 weeks still. They will be going in tonight. The egg was laid in the run in a little nest of grass. The egg was small and a light blue/green color so not sure which hen would have laid it based on the assortment. Should I be changing to a laying feed now?

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I would start offering oystershell or crushed egg shells in a separate feeder until more of them are laying. And put some nest boxes with the fake eggs or golf balls in the coop to show them where you want them to lay.

5. shellyjimrye

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    Here is a picture of the present[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shellyjimrye

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will be adding the shell for them tonight. Just so darn excited!!! I really wasnt expecting anything at all until maybe another month or more.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    First eggs are exiting. I can still remember getting my first one, though it's been years. I screamed so loud my DH thought something was wrong lol.

8. shellyjimrye

Mar 11, 2013
    Didsbury, Alberta Canada
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I was saying that I was glad that my daughter had left for work and the DH was still in the house cause I squealed like a little kid with delight! He wanted me to shot gun the egg down raw.. said that all good chicken ranchers do it! Of course I didnt!!! I cant wait for more now. I didnt think I would be so egg-cited but.. oh hot **** I am!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by