Happy Chanukah!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just wanted to wish any other fellow Jewish chicken-people a happy Chanukah! We had some latkes with dinner tonight and are looking forward to some sufganiyot for breakfast tomorrow. Our chanukiot lit up the house and were lovely as usual. Hope you had a nice first night as well!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Shalom and Blessings.

From your Ephraimite cousin. [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks!!! [​IMG]

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Shalom and blessings!

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

THANK YOU for making this post! I wanted to but didn't have the guts. [​IMG] We did out first night of present-openings last night. No fancy-shmancy dinner this time though. All I miss is the matzo-ball soup.

A happy one to you and yours!

6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Yes same from the Bishop family!!!

Brandon

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm not Jewish. But I read this post with pleasure. Many different religions
    and beliefs among us as a group. I personally welcome that thought.

And I wondered just what Chanukah is about? I looked it up, but I'm not sure
    I really understand. It celebrates a a battle, a Jewish army defeating a Greece
    army in the Holy land? But I'm sure there's so much more to it than that.

I knew that latkes are a potato cake. *I like those, but we call them potatocakes.
    We're hillbillys...Go figure*

"sufganiyot" i had to look up. Ah...Jelly Donut, the internet said. I like those for breakfast
    too.

The "chanukiot" I knew as a candle light.

But so much I don't know. One thing I know for sure... That I personally appreciate this
    family as they make a post proclaiming their faith.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

The Greeks tried to suppress the Jews, and wrecked their temples, and burned their houses and killed bunches of people. They erected statues of their many Gods in the place of the Jewish temples to just one God, and generally both sides totally disagreed, but the Greeks were the rulers of the land of Judea (israel). Then, an old man stood up to the greek army, and said "No, we will not forsake our God"... because the Greeks said that the Jews had to worship the Greek gods, and wear the greek clothes etc. That old man was too old and sick to fight, but his son, Judah, also called Macabee (hammer), raised an army of Macabees, to fight the Greeks. They went to their Capitol city of Jerusalem, which the Greek had overthrown years before, and fixed it up, removed the Greek statues, and made a menorah for the alter. Sadly, they only had enough oil for one day, but Miraculously, it lasted 8 days and nights. So when we light the candles in our Menorah, we're not to do any work while the candles burn down, in honor of the Macabees, who worked so hard to fight for our rights to worship.

our latkes turned out awesome, but for some reason my kids hate them... so I got to eat most of them. We also played the Dreidel game, and I will say, I did quite well!

9. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Happy Chanukah and Shalom!
    We had home made fries last night. Does this count?
    Sunday we have Latkes. Yum.
    A joyful holiday to you all!

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Im not Jewish either but I think mighty highly of of the line of Abraham and am delighted to see that you are having a good Chanukah. Announce it proudly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by