Happy Chickens = Happy Chicken Mom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tinkitten, Jan 14, 2014.

1. tinkitten

tinkitten Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    North Arizona
    Hi all,
    I am new here. I ordered my first batch of brown egg layers back in October and I have had so much fun with them.

Awhile back, I started thinking about food production practices, and I realize that most of the food I buy (animal type) in a grocery store probably did not live a happy life. I guess I cannot say for sure, but I suspect their lives are bleak. I started thinking about the consequences of my eating food from essentially stressed out unhappy animals, and I decided to break the unhappy chain. So here I am. Working hard to keep my flock happy and healthy. I haven't even gotten my first egg yet, and already my quality of life has changed.

I've spent a lot of time on this site and others, trying to learn tips to keeping my chick kids happy and healthy. My biggest issue right now is my coop, which, blew away in a wind storm a while back. I learned the hard way that a coop made of PVC and covered with a large tarp might catch wind like a sail. So my chickens are in a large dog house. But they seem happy. I guess that is all that matters.

Thanks for being here! I love looking at pictures of chickens and dreaming of new ways to spoil my flock.
    -tinkitten[​IMG]

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!

Chickens are just awesome. I agree 100%, they do improve quality of life for people.

Glad to have you on board,

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Chickens are so much fun and rewarding. And finding that first egg is so EGG-citing! Good luck in all your chicken adventures and enjoy BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute little flock, hope they hurry up with that first egg for you.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your coop :( but you can build a bigger and better one now :)

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]