Happy Chickens Lay More Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Dec 3, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

My hubby has had stock simmering on the stove for the last week, and last night he finally made stew. Well we have leftover veggies and meat from the stock, so this morning I heated some of it up and fed it to the flock. Ds went out to check the coop, and we already had 3 eggs in there before 8:30am!! Usually we won't find eggs until after 9:30, and it's only been 1. I guess happy, well fed chickens lay more eggs!!! [​IMG]

Sonja

2. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    When I first read your post I thought you were gonna say your hubby went out to the chickens to GET one to put in the stock! [​IMG] I was thinking to myself no wonder they laid three eggs. [​IMG]

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the "stock" chickens are already in the freezer, but maybe they're laying well because they don't want to join their "friends."

Sonja

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've heard that warm mash encourages hens to lay more eggs, but don't know if that's true. But on cold mornings (here in Palm Beach County, FL, that means 55 degrees or lower) I'll often prepare pans of warm breakfast for the chickens.

In big plastic plant saucers I'll put some layer pellets and pour boiling water over them to make it like oatmeal. I'll add other goodies & beneficial ingredients including canned or cracked corn, raisins, chopped apples, oats, garlic/garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ACV, whole raw eggs whipped in the blender, shells & all.

I brought them some this morning & told them I was expecting a double-yolked egg from each of them, including the roosters, by this afternoon.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It has been a long time since I've had anything to do with dairy cows but I learned that feeding them a little of their regular feed often makes them more productive than giving them their feed less often.

Like most people's hens, mine have their feed whenever they want it but treats are a different story. I try not to interfere with their laying hours so I'm out there mostly in the evenings. Sometimes it is just a tiny handful but they, of course, are delighted.

Then I will show up in another hour or so with something else. That goes on until it's time for them to roost - keeps them entertained and me out of trouble [​IMG]. And, they are laying well.

Steve

6. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    If I take out the magic dinner bucket and feed mine with the spoon, we get an egg within 10 minutes of letting them out the next morning, sometimes when we let them out, they've already started with the presents. If daddy goes out with the magic dinner bucket, we start getting eggs way later in the day. Mostly because daddy just throws the food out, he's no where near nice to my spoiled brats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by