Happy Discovery! :D

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
I've wanted a pair of bantam sumatra for quite some time now. The last place I saw them for sale, though, was at the PPBA show, and they were $100 a pair. Beautiful birds, but I couldn't afford them, and I don't buy from hatcheries. I also don't want a ton of sumatra, just a pair is perfect for me.

I bought a large group of mostly OEGB eggs from PeepsInc, who noted he'd be throwing in some other various eggs as well. I was especially excited about, you guessed it, the bantam sumatras, and the silver pencilled wyandotte bantams. I got my eggs and set them, hatched them, etc. There was only one egg with bantam sumatra marked on it that made it and hatched, but of course I was happy! After all, I have a bantam sumatra now.
big_smile.png
(I also hatched a SPWB, but she was crippled and passed away after a few weeks.
sad.png
Sad. I plan on ordering some more of those eggs from him, though, they're lovely birds.)

I hatched some black chickens as well that mostly looked the same. But I noticed one had a slightly different comb and wondered if maybe, just maybe, it could be a bantam sumatra as well. I kept her just in case, figuring even if she just turned out to be a black OEGB that was all right, too, and regardless she's a pullet. The last few weeks I had given up hope, as she was looking more like an OEGB to me. But today I was looking at her in more detail and I realized...yes, she is a sumatra after all! I'm extremely close to certain of it! She looks just like the other sumatra but a little smaller, and she's getting in some shiny feathers. The other bantam sumatra is a cockerel and she's a pullet, so I have a pair! I'm so excited.
smile.png
They're already starting to look pretty and they're only eight weeks old. Their feathers are beginning to shimmer in the sun. Once they feather out and look like sumatras, I'll be sure to post pictures! I am so happy that I got a bantam sumatra pair!

I figured it's about time to post pictures of these two.
big_smile.png
They're still getting their feathers in so they look a little dorky (especially their tails and base of their tails, haha), but even though they still have feather growing to do they're already magnificent. I can't wait until they finish feathering out!

BURDS024Large.jpg

BURDS043Large.jpg

Royal, the cockerel.

BURDS033Large.jpg

BURDS034Large.jpg

Rexy, the pullet.

Close-up on feathers:

BURDS048Large.jpg

They're FAR more iridescent and amazing in real life, but at least this gives you an idea.
smile.png
I love these two!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom