Happy Easter everyone!!! 6 new little chicks added to my family today

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nicsdimples, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nicsdimples

nicsdimples New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    I read that somewhere in BYC that chickens are like potato chips, you can't have just one. It's so true. And they are addictive! I have 2 ten months old Americana hens (Prada and Gucci i named them!) and it's definitely not enough after seeing how great they are. A month ago, i got myself 2 RIR and Barred Rock (Coco) and today, i was on Bantam fever, drove all the way to Norco and got myself a Columbian Cochin (snow white) and 6 bantam (dwafts - 2 silkies, 1 partridge cochin, 1 barred buff cochin, 2 lavender cochins). Should have gotten 7 bantam , and i would be able to say 'hey, that's my snow white and the seven dwafts!!!)

Anyway, i am extremely content and happy. But i do have a lot of work ahead of me. Firstly, i need to get a temporary coop set up for my one month old pullets. They are still in a box! My new big coop will not arrive till end of May. I am quite nervous how i am going to handle all these chicks. All suggestions are welcome. I wish not to spend unnecessary money on the temporary coop as i am already paying an arm and leg for the new one. I wonder if my pullets will get along well with my hens.

Never have i thought i would love chickens and be blogging about them. I am now called the chicken lady by my friends (and i don't mind), getting my whole block of neighbors excited about having chicks too! (just converted one family today, she ended up with 4 chicks too). Nevertheless, i am a very happy person today and i hope my chicks will thrive and survive for a long time (had total 6 casualties in the pass).

Thank you for reading my post and i wish you have a great happy chicky day!

2. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Welcome! It sounds like you are well on your way to a large chicken family. Good luck with all the new ones!

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    So happy you caught the chicken fever! Welcome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by