Happy Easter everyone!!! 6 new little chicks added to my family today

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nicsdimples, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nicsdimples

nicsdimples New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    I read that somewhere in BYC that chickens are like potato chips, you can't have just one. It's so true. And they are addictive! I have 2 ten months old Americana hens (Prada and Gucci i named them!) and it's definitely not enough after seeing how great they are. A month ago, i got myself 2 RIR and Barred Rock (Coco) and today, i was on Bantam fever, drove all the way to Norco and got myself a Columbian Cochin (snow white) and 6 bantam (dwafts - 2 silkies, 1 partridge cochin, 1 barred buff cochin, 2 lavender cochins). Should have gotten 7 bantam , and i would be able to say 'hey, that's my snow white and the seven dwafts!!!)

Anyway, i am extremely content and happy. But i do have a lot of work ahead of me. Firstly, i need to get a temporary coop set up for my one month old pullets. They are still in a box! My new big coop will not arrive till end of May. I am quite nervous how i am going to handle all these chicks. All suggestions are welcome. I wish not to spend unnecessary money on the temporary coop as i am already paying an arm and leg for the new one. I wonder if my pullets will get along well with my hens.

Never have i thought i would love chickens and be blogging about them. I am now called the chicken lady by my friends (and i don't mind), getting my whole block of neighbors excited about having chicks too! (just converted one family today, she ended up with 4 chicks too). Nevertheless, i am a very happy person today and i hope my chicks will thrive and survive for a long time (had total 6 casualties in the pass).

Thank you for reading my post and i wish you have a great happy chicky day!
  2. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Welcome! It sounds like you are well on your way to a large chicken family. Good luck with all the new ones!
  3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
  4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
  5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.
  8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Chicken Obsessed

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D
  9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup
  10. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    So happy you caught the chicken fever! Welcome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by