1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy Ending Egg Stories

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickmashnoon, Mar 25, 2012.

1. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, this is my first setting of shipped eggs. I have some I ordered and I set some a friend ordered. Many of mine have loose air cells despite my sellers egg-celent packing job. My friend got yolked! her eggs came in covered in white and yolk from their broken neighbors :( I am pretty nervous about them developing and actually hatching and am looking for inspiration. Soooo . . . . . What were the crazy eggs you got that you really wanted to hatch?[​IMG] and that hatched despite all odds!!! [​IMG] Those that had hairline cracks that you glued, or that was so dirty [​IMG] you thought it would blow up but instead a chick came out- or the loose air cell that made you think of those squishy water toys but did finally develop- or those expensive shipped eggs that the incubator almost fried but somehow a couple pulled thru!

Tell me your edge of the seat eggs stories that had a happy ending![​IMG]

BTW, thanks for the inspiration :)[​IMG]

2. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

No one? C'mon guys. Well, i just set a shipment of eggs. Most had loose air cells, and while I really didn't expect them to develop, two that were loose cells are forming embryos. hopefully they will hatch out!

But really, I wanted YOUR stories. Haven't hatched that much, so I don't have many of my own.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    just hatched shipped eggs, all arrived packed perfectly, as always they have loose air cells from cargo plane pressure...let them sit absolulty still upright in turner for 7 days to heal air cells . ran humidity around 30 % ..I up it a little if eggs a little pourous they tend to dry down fast..so watch air cells..out of shipment, 15 were fertile, 12 hatched, three failed to pip ..so overall a happy story..

just wash warm water the ones with egg on them ..some people use candle wax on slight cracks.and have had success.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by