Happy girls

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by coolcanoechic, Dec 13, 2011.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I finished my coop and bought 3 hens from a breeder on Craigs list trying to thin his flock before winter. I picked them up the day before Thanksgiving. One of them passed mysteriously and the other two thrived. The ones I have left are a Barred Rock and a NH Red. Roxie and Shirley.

I gave them treats every day until they got used to me. They seem to love their new home and since they free ranged before I got them, I have now been letting them out for an hour before sunset to explore their new yard. They are sooooo HAPPY! They love the woods and leaves to scratch in as well as my veggie beds next to the coop. They have scored many worms in there already.
    I stand watch over them with my hiking stick in case there is trouble. Today, Shirley was happily scratching in the leaves on the edge of the woods while I stood guard. Something dropped out of the tree near her and startled her. Where did she run? Straight to me! [​IMG] After that, they both stayed very close to me. I think they see me as the rooster [​IMG]

While they were out in the yard, I dug some dirt out of one of my veggie bed ( worms included ) and added it to their dust bath. Shirley dove into it and cleaned out all the worms.

Roxie has given me an egg for 7 days straight now and Shirley gave me her first egg today!

I just had to tell someone how much I am enjoying my little girls. [​IMG] They are such a joy to have!

Thanks for reading! [​IMG]

2. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Aren't chickens a joy to have? [​IMG]
    I don't know how I survived without any! I'm going to be getting more after Christmas as well. Glad to hear your flock is happy and healthy!

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Glad you all found each other [​IMG]

4. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I bet your girls realize how lucky they are too! If they could say anything it probably would be.......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Isn't having chickens so rewarding!? Congrats on the additions to your family. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I had to laugh at your hiking stick. My girls range in our fenced 2.5 acre yard. But every once in a while I'll open the back gate and let my girls roam the back field (where we had corn planted this summer/fall) for a little while. I always stand out there with them holding a metal fence post or some other "weapon" just in case....

That's sweet that your silly girl (made me think "The Sky is Falling!") ran to you when she got panicked.

7. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ha ha [​IMG]
    The other day, I just got them back in the coop when two dogs ran into my yard. They were new to me. I had never seen them before. One was a beagle and the other was a young Irish setter. I hollared to them to go home and the beagle showed his teeth and growled at me. The hair on his back was standing up. If my girls had been out in the yard at that time, it probably would have been curtains for them.
    I could hear the owner calling for them two houses over and they left the yard and went home. I think they got out by accident, because I had never seen them before. If this happens again, I will call animal control. I do not want to shoot or hurt anyones pets if it can be avoided. If this becomes a problem, I will confront the owner and tell him if they get into my yard again, I have a right to shoot them if they threaten my flock.
    Right now, a big stick is what I carry. I don't want to sit in my yard with a gun every evening while keeping an eye on the girls. The only trouble with a stick is that it can be considered cruelty to animals if I hit them with it. Same with anything else, such as a bb gun or paint gun. The only answer is shoot them with a gun.....not my first choice for a neighbors pets. I know this part belongs in another section of the forum, but I am not going to consider it a problem unless it happens again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by