Happy Guy Fawkes night!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jacyjones, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    It is Guy Fawkes night here in the UK when we remember the attempt by Guy Fawkes and his friends to blow up the Houses of Parliament. It is so long ago now that it is usually just referred to as Bonfire Night. We celebrate with bonfires and firework displays both small and larger organised ones in towns and cities.
    I have just dropped my daughter at the display in town with her friends and will pick her up later. I am not too keen on fireworks myself and so am on here wishing you all "Happy Bonfire Night!!"

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Tell us who he was and why he wanted to blow up a political building?

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Well............in 1605 Guy Fawkes and his friends disagreed with the King, James 1st, on grounds of religion. they were catholic and the king was protestant, I think. they tried to overthrow the King by blowing him and his government up. they were discovered before they could ignite their barrels of gunpowder and were then hung, drawn and quartered. Al a bit gruesome - of course we now use it as an excuse to have a party!!

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I remember Guy Fawkes night in London. It was ton of fun. Of course, nearly every night was fun. Oh to be young and expatriated.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] We celebrated it in South Africa as well - MUCH FUN.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Nov 5, 1605: Guy Fawkes was captured in the basement of Parliament with 36 barrels of gunpowder. The leader of the group was Robert Catesby, Fawkes was a mercenary with explosives expertise. It was a group of 13 men who decided to try and kill the King because he was as bad if not worse than his mother. Once they realized that a lot more people would die or be injured, it's commonly believed that one of them sent the letter to the King warning him. Fawkes was captured, tortured, and put to death. They lit bonfires that night to let everyone know the plan had failed and the King lived.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Happy Bonfire Night! Have fun. [​IMG]

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Big article on the BBC today, online, at least, about whether the Jesuit priest who was tortured and hung with the co-conspirators was really guilty at all.

Interesting stuff, and had a funny graphic where they made it look like the houses of Parliament were hung with banners that said "Free the Guy Fawkes One!" Good bit o brit humor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by