Happy Halloween!...What do I do with these pumpkin seeds??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickiyo, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    First off Happy Halloween to everyone out there.[​IMG]
    I just finished carving some pumpkins, and I have ALOT of pumpkin seeds. And as I am a newbie to this whole chicken raising business, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if it is alright to feed my chickens leftover pumpkin seeds? I am worried about the size of the seeds.... will they choke?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    They grind it up in their crop.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Throw them in the run. They will eat them....mine are getting ready for their third pumpkin in three weeks. And what they miss will seed the ground and grow. I have been pulling up the little seedlings and giving them to the girls.

4. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    So they can swallow them without choking? Mine are ~13 weeks but 1 appears to be a banty [​IMG] and one is a runt who is trying to catch up with the others. Like the OP, I don't want them to choke.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Assuming they have access to grit, anything that they can get through their beaks will be ground up in their gizzards. No need to worry.

6. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    And after you're done with Halloween, through the whole pumpkin in there. The only thing that will be left will be the stem. It might take them a while to go through it, but they will (mine do!).

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Soak them in salt water, bake them, & eat them! [​IMG]

8. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:Assuming they have access to grit, anything that they can get through their beaks will be ground up in their gizzards. No need to worry.

Thank you!

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:You would not believe the things and the size of things I have seen my chickens eat. It makes me cringe sometimes!

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    pumpkins are a gut cleaner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by