1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by magikchick, Oct 31, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Is anyone dressing up? We get to wear costumes to work. I'm going as a hillbilly girl. Got some really nasty looking teeth.

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Happy Halloween everyone. Not dressing up here but I have pins and/or necklaces that I usually wear to work and was in such a hurry this morning I forgot!!! I knew I should have got them out last night! Be safe all.

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Trick or treat????
    We are just starting to seriously recognise halloween here in Oz. the shops sell costumes and only a few children in my street dress up and doorknock, I forgot to buy lollies so gave them some money instead!!
    Is that the custom?

4. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Happy Halloween! Halloween is my favorite holiday. I am not dressing up this year but my daughter is going as a 'Midnight Fairy'. She's supposed to be a bit scary but looks so darn cute!

5. dixieschicks

dixieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    CUSTER PARK ILLINOIS
    Yes, you can pass out change, coins or paper money with inflation! LOL I was thinking of dressing up ( I am pretty short ?!) and trick or treating at the gas station! Maybe I could set a discount on some gasoline!

Happy Halloween all! Stay safe!

6. bantymum

Please excuse my ignorance but why do people say "stay safe"? is this a dangerous custom?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    bantymum,

When I was a kid, there was a big scare about people putting razor blades in apples and stuff like that. It was really too bad because it spelled the end to homemade treats, fruit and other goodies (we used to bake elaborate frosted brownies with spiderweb decorations and stuff like that, and wrap them up with our name and address attached, but after a year or two parents wouldn't let kids take them!) and now most people just give out regular pre-packaged candy.

Also, people are scared that bad folks, like sexual predators, etc, may be out tonight trying to lure kids who are roaming around in the dark without parental supervision, in costume so not easily remembered if something goes wrong.

Also, there used to be a stronger tradition than today of kids doing pranks, mostly harmless but sometimes kids did get hurt. We don't see much of that anymore around here, not even the smashed pumpkins and toilet-paper or egg-attacks we saw when I was a kid. I am happy about that (as a homeowner) but on the other hand I kinda miss that "mischeif" or "bad" aspect of Halloween. The lack of creative homemade costumes is also kind of sad, it seems Halloween has become more of a commercial holiday and -for a lot of kids- simply a way to get a bunch of free candy rather than to have fun planning costumes and dressing up and celebrating the spooky/evil/unknown!!

Anyway, it's still loads of fun. Olivia's been planning her costume since the summer.

Happy Halloween!!

Stacey

8. bantymum

Thanks for that!
    The children that I saw at nightfall had their parents looking on from a distance at the roadside.
    Some children had the ready made outfits, the others made up some wonderful ones.
    We will do it next year for sure.
    Ill put a lit up pumpkin on the front verandah so the children know that im here and Mikey and I will go trick or treating as well!!
    Though my partner is very religious and says that halloween is not a christian thing to do????? I dont agree
    I said that for me, i see children having a great outdoor time dressing up and getting paid in lollies and money for their efforts, nothing wrong with that!!!
    Happy halloween.

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife and I don't celebrate Halloween, but for those that do Happy Halloween.

10. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    bantymum,
    in the 8th century, Halloween was taken over from the pagan/celtic holiday it had begun as, by the church, who encouraged people to dress up as saints and give food to poor people. So it's no ENTIRELY pagan (although IMHO the best parts are!). Here's what Garrison Keeler said on the Writers' Almanac this morning:

It's Halloween, one of the oldest holidays in the Western European tradition, invented by the Celts, who believed Halloween was the day of the year when spirits, ghosts, faeries, and goblins walked the earth. The tradition of dressing up and getting candy probably started with the Celts as well. Historians believe that they dressed up as ghost and goblins to scare away the spirits, and they would put food and wine on their doorstep for the spirits of family members who had come back to visit the home.

Pope Gregory III turned Halloween into a Christian holiday in the eighth century, and people were encouraged to dress up as saints and give food to the poor. But when Irish Catholics brought the Celtic traditions to the United States, Halloween became a holiday for them to let off steam by pulling pranks, hoisting wagons onto barn roofs, releasing cows from their pastures, and committing all kinds of mischief involving outhouses. Treats evolved as a way to bribe the vandals and protect homes.

It wasn't until the early 20th century that Halloween became a holiday for children. In 1920, the Ladies' Home Journal made the first known reference to children going door to door for candy, and by the 1950s it was a universal practice in this country. By the end of the 20th century, 92 percent of America's children were trick-or-treating. Tonight, about 70 percent of American households will open their doors and offer candy to children, and Halloween parties are becoming increasingly popular among adults. It's the one day a year that people can freely dress as the opposite gender, as criminals, superheroes, celebrities, animals, or even inanimate objects. But retailers report that the most popular costumes remain some variation on witches, ghosts, and devils.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by