Happy Hen Peep

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jan in Fallbrook CA, Aug 13, 2017.

1. 7 days in a row

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 8 days in a row

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 9 days in a row

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10 days in a row

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Jan in Fallbrook CA

Jan in Fallbrook CA In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2017
    Hi fellow chicken people! I have six hens, purchased from my local feed store the end of February this year (2017). Two of each breed: Welsummers (Vera and Vergie), Salmon Faverolles (Fanny and Pluma), and Easter Eggers (Thelma and Louise).

My two Welsummer girls, Vera and Vergie, were the first to lay at just 20 weeks and 4 days old! One of my Salmon Faverolle's, Fanny, laid her first egg when she was 21 weeks 3 days. And amazingly, Fanny has just laid an egg NINE in a row! One of the Easter Eggers, Thelma, started laying beautiful pastel mint green eggs when she was 21 weeks 5 days.

This is my first experience with my own chickens. As a kid I chased my grandmother's chickens, but other than that, no knowledge of chickens.

I turned to this forum to get answers to many of my questions before ever getting the chickens. Thank you to all of you out there sharing your chicken experiences!

I also have three small rescue dogs - not allowed to go into the chicken yard.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    rjohns39 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. It is not uncommon for sex links, leghorns, and other production breeds to lay for extended periods of time without taking a break. It is somewhat more unusual for Salmon Faverolles to do so.

3. Jan in Fallbrook CA

Jan in Fallbrook CA In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2017
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'm just amazed at how chickens can be so different. Learning lots thanks to this site.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Robin37

Robin37 Crowing

Mar 27, 2017
    Lavonia GA
    My Coop
    :welcome

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Jan and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    We are so glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Fanny is very competitive and wanted to keep up with the other layers. How great!

Faverolles are such gentle, beautiful birds. :welcome

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: