Happy Holidays...Build a Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clance, Dec 18, 2008.

1. clance

clance New Egg

Aug 10, 2008
    Hi Everyone,

Most of us here are keeping chickens in our back yard. Most of us have a chicken coop and we have family and friends who don't. Why not give the gift of building them a chicken coop in their backyard this Christmas. I have written about it in my latest blog post. Chicken Coop Plans.

Everyone can benifit from this. You get to give a thoughtful and creative gift that keeps giving year after year and you can probably save money by building it from recycled material.

I am doing it for my brother this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

What are you're thoughts?

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Your brother is so lucky! To me that would be a perfect gift. [​IMG]

If I actually had any relatives who would like a chicken coop built for them, I would be thrilled~~but my parents say they hate chickens because they grew up with them and they had some very mean leghorns then.

My dad & his brothers used to get chickens drunk on his Minnesota farm when he was little a long time ago~~so you know what he thinks of them. (His mother was furious!) He thinks I am goofy for naming any of my birds.

Some other relatives think it is a rather "odd" hobby.

I do have one cousin in a farther away state who has some Ameraucanas though....but she already has a coop. [​IMG] She is my only hope of people believing that its OK to have chickens in your own backyard "nowadays!" [​IMG]

Me? I just love them and can see their value more & more everyday. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What a GREAT present !!!!! I want to build a small coop for my father-in-law who is 97 and pretty active. He had chickens years ago and really likes mine. It's a little to cold for building now but maybe this spring.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I forgot to say... [​IMG] Glad you joined!

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I think it would be perfect.
    I've been begging my dad to build me a coop since school ended LAST YEAR and just a couple a weeks ago he went outside, got a dog run, pushed it against the shed, and took 3 pieces of plywood, nailed them together and said he was done. I keep asking if I can just have the shed and fix it up, put his things in the garage (I mean come on! He added on to the garage! We have a 5 car garage!!?) Why in the world do you need that much space for some old car parts and some bikes? The dog run isn't going to big enough when my chickens get to their full size and I warned him about it, but he's too busy with work (he rents houses off and is into construction), and he says he might build a nice one when he's done with some project but then some renter has to move out and dad has to go repaint the whole house, and usually they leave the house in HORRIBLE conditions so that takes a couple months and it starts over, he never gets to me.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    That's a wonderful gift you are giving! Be sure and keep us updated, and post pictures!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Emzyyy, why don't you offer to go along with your dad when he is cleaning out those houses and doing the repairs. That way you can possibly pick up some of the basic skills you need to build your own. Plus, you never know what goodies you might find that you could use for your chickens or your other pets.

And if he offers you some money to help him, save it, and use it for paying for the feed and other things for your pets, or buying the supplies you need to use in building your coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by