Happy Holidays to All

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nizzletripe, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Nizzletripe

Nizzletripe Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    This is a photo of my 7 month New Hamshire Red rooster, Miracle. Miracle came to me by sheer accident. I am a teacher and have raised eggs in the classroom for several years. After the eggs hatch I return the chicks back to the farm. So, I know very little about chicken raising. Last May, however, it was a bit different. The incubator I was using was faulty and the temperature inside rose to over 105 degrees. At 22 days, there was not a single pip. At about the 25th day, just when I was going to turn the incubator off and get rid of the eggs, a noticed a tiny hole in one of the eggs. I made sure the moisture level was adequate and hoped for the best. I left school for the day and returned the next morning only to find the hole only slightly bigger. That's when I started searching the web and found Backyard Chickens. I read and read and eventually realized that I had to help this little chick out of the egg. So, I painstakenly chipped and peeled the egg over a period of hours. The little guy inside was growing weaker and weaker. So, I peeled the chick out of the egg. It was weak and had a very crooked neck. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want to leave him in the incubator because it was Memorial Day weekend. I was afraid I would come back to a dead chick:( I did the only thing any nobel animal lover would do, I took him home. For the ride home, I wrapped him in a towel, placed him in a cardboard box and hurried home as quick as possilbe. When I got home, my husband was waiting with a large plastic container lined with pine shavings and a carpenter's lamp. I transferred the little chick and hoped for the best. When he wouldn't eat or drink, I again contacted the Backyard Chicken Forum and so many of you wrote back and told me what to do. So, I mashed his meal with egg yolk, fed him water with a small syringe, and hoped his crooked head would heal. That was seven months ago. I am happy to say that "Miracle", my rooster survived and is a happy, healthy pet. My husband and I are now the happy owners of Miracle and six Dominique hens. Thanks to all for all your help.

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    awwww.hes very handsome.so glad it all worked out for ya.
  3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    YAY! [​IMG]
    What a great story!!!! thanks so much for sharing, and what a great picture of Miracle.....I am glad he not only survived, but thrived. [​IMG]
    And Happy Holidays to you too........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by