1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy Mother's Day to Broody Sunny-She Did It!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, May 13, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She hatched two perfect Barred Rock babies for me this morning! They are from my hen Lexie and rooster Hawkeye. I have their two week old sibling in the nursery coop with my three week olds next to her broody pen. Here are the two babies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awwww....Happy Mothers Day Sunny!! Way to go! the babies are gorgeous![​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    OH, they are so cute, and doesn't Momma look proud?!
    Way to go, and Happy Mom's Day!

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] What a good momma! She looks like my Chicken Hawk!

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwwww, she is so beautifull! What a great momma! Congrats!

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Oh they are so cute, congrats !!![​IMG]
    Is Sunny a Buff Orp? They are the best mothers. I just love to watch a mama hen & chics. [​IMG]
    Miriam

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, she's a Buff Orpington. I have another one the same age, a year and a half old, but she has never gone broody. This is Sunny's second broody session. I think I mentioned before that she almost died the first time sitting on air.
    She just took the babies outside at 2 days old yesterday-she really wanted out of the broody pen, to stretch her legs some, I think. And she wants to mother the almost-month-old chicks in the nursery nextdoor to her pen so badly. Bet she'd take them all, if I let her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by