Happy Mother's Day to me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Minniechickmama, May 6, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have THE most wonderful husband in the whole, wide world!!!
    He just said I can put on order a Sportsman incubator for my Mother's Day present!!!! Isn't he awesome?????
    I have had so many crappy hatches with the smaller ones (Hovabator/Brower), so he told me to go ahead and order.

Now, which model?? Oh, the conundrum!

2. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    That is wonderful, I only get two chicks hatching on Monday for mother day, unless hes surprises me with something over the weekend. most times we don't do much for holidays.

3. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow - that's exciting! I have no suggestions because I'm so new to this.

My hubby is still a little in shock from the brooders in our dining room(he thinks it's two, but I bought a new batch of keets & a chick this week - so 3 brooders) & the couple of eggs due to hatch this week...so I didn't expect him to run out and buy one. [​IMG] However, since I opted against the $200 for the family Mother's Day brunch in favor of a bucket of KFC and hanging outside at home, I figured I'd go ahead and order a Brinsea Eco 20 & auto-turner this morning! I'll look for eggs when I figure out when this is due to arrive!

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Okay, I do draw the line at chicks in my house other than the ones coming out of the bators I have now, usually fewer than 10 that I only keep in for 2-3 days until I take them to the brooder in the garage. The dust from them is too much.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I'm not familiar with the Sportsman incubators, so I'm of no help. But I had to share that my wonderful DH gave me $300 of his "mad money" so I could buy a Brinsea Octagon 20 EX! In fact, I went into lockdown tonight with my first hatch from the new bator. I had the Mini Advance and just sold it and included some hatching eggs. I hope the new owners get as addicted to chickens as the rest of us are!

6. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    Well... if it's a present, get the most expensive one!! [​IMG]

I have two plus a hatcher and they are great! I have averaged 93% hatch rate!! (141 out of 152) so far this year. [​IMG]

7. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too, believe it or not (though the dust is just starting to be an issue). I have trouble with my 3 girls keeping the garage closed and nothing secure enough to keep the raccoon out! He loves to come get into mischief in our garage. I need a much more secure brooder to keep them outside.

8. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    My hubby told me to order a kindle [​IMG] and..... I got to order a brinsea mini advance and a octagon eco20 and the turner [​IMG]

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well, I got the Sportsman 1502. It should be here in a couple of weeks, but I haven't gotten the order confirmation. It will get here one way or another though! In the meantime, I am building a duck hutch for our ducklings (Calls, Jumbo Pekins for the freezer, Khaki Campbells and Swedish Harlequins). Then it is back to finishing the brooder house and the big chicken breeding house. I know what I am going to be doing all summer. [​IMG]

10. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Boy am I jelous, I doubt if I get anything,[​IMG] I would love to have one of the big incubators. I just candled some of my eggs again and toss out 5, I have over 2 dozen waiting to go into my little giant but it is already half full and I turn them by hand. Guess I'll buy myself something for mother's day like a turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by