Happy New Year to Me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the_great_snag, Jan 1, 2011.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Hey everyone,

I got a surprise this morning! I went out to feed my flock as usual and discovered 3 eggs! This is the first time I have gotten eggs from my birds, who were mostly hatched in mid-August!

I live on the Canadian border, and the temps have not been above freezing for well over a month. In fact, they are below zero right now. I have been running 2 heat lamps just to keep their 7 gallon fount thawed out. There have been a few days I have been forced to use my heated fountain, which I HATE!

Anyway, I figured I would not see eggs until spring, given the temps. Imagine my surprise to find 3 eggs this morning!

Now my problem is that I need to set up a nest box and try to figure out a way to keep the coop warm enough to avoid frozen eggs. 2 of the 3 I got this morning were frozen already. [​IMG] At least my dogs will have snacks to chew on, right?

2. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    BTW... I am running red sex links with pea combs, Buckeyes, and OEGB's so I have had no issues with cold temps. My neighbor runs California Grays in a smaller coop with no issues either.

3. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    I got my first three eggs today as well!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! That is awesome... here is a pic of my first eggs:

[​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Nice!

Do you have Welsummers or Marans? Very nice color!

I will try to post pics of my one remaining egg after we scrub the poo off it! lol

5. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Nope. I think it was my Red Star and my Australorp that laid those. The other two hens I have are a RIR and a BO and do not look like they are mature enough quite yet. I don't any dark egg layers like a Marans, but that is one I'm looking into for my next order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by