Happy New Year to NINE baby White Leghorn Bantams!

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
Checked the incubator at midnight and had 5 pips on 10 eggs. Woke up at about 5:30 am to 3 newly hatched chicks and 2 more by 8 am. The 6th chick needed a little assistance as the shell was zipped about 90% but the membrane was starting to dry on the down so I used a wet paper towel to moisten the membrane and peel off a little shell and put it back in. Within 15 minutes that chick was out along with the 7th who popped out while we were not looking. Number 8 pipped later this afternoon and literally popped like a jack in the box and that leaves #10 which I am concerned about but I candled it today and it does have movement - will leave it alone for the next 24-30 hours and hopefully it will decide to join the rest of the chicklets.

What an awesome way to welcome the new year!

This is my second hatch in 14 days! Now my son has 8 chicks to choose 4-H projects for a 2009 hatch and at least 9 to choose for a 2010 project! So exciting!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Haha
tongue.png
Somewhere along the way, I lost count - #9 also hatched - I'm so pleased with these 2 hatches. 8 out of 8 and 9 out of 10 so far - very high quality private breeder stock. Excited to see the potential on these babies.

I called the breeder this morning and she told me a funny story. She gave bantam eggs to a friend who looked at her and said.... "Well, What do I do with them?"

Back
Top Bottom