1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy Newbie from Semmes, Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by olemizmom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. olemizmom

olemizmom New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Semmes, Alabama
    Good Day Everyone. I wanted a small flock of laying hens for about two years now but waited until I had the time to pursue it and a job without travel. I have been following BYC for about the same amount of time and have benefited greatly from the posts and comments. The chicks arrived on March 21 and we have been having such fun! I have two Andalusians (one white; one blue); one Ancona; and two salmon Faverolle's. My husband is making the Purina chicken coop and it should be finished in the next couple of days. I don't know the ages of the chicks, but they arrived healthy from Purely Poultry. The white Andalusian is the oldest and has the most feathers. The Ancona appears to be the youngest. I was wondering if chicks raised together still go through a pecking order. Or maybe they are doing that process slowly now? I have many pics to post soon as I find my uplink cable. Thanks to everyone for all your help and info :)

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! Welcome to BYC from Ohio

Yes, chicks that are raised together do establish a pecking order, but it's much easier than just throwing chickens together that don't know eachother. Much more peaceful.

I'm surprised your chicks aren't all the same age. When I buy chicks from a hatchery, they're almost always day old chicks. See, newly hatched chicks can go three days without eating and drinking, because they're still absorbing a yolk sac. So they are often shipped the day they hatch.

Maybe yours are the same age, just growing at different rates? You've surely picked some pretty breeds, and I sure hope you enjoy them!

Take care, and glad you joined!
    Sharon

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

4. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]