Happy News For Camille, Sad News For Dot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yanna, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I posted on Thursday evening, I believe, about our little runt Camille. Camille is still a "special needs" chick as she doesn't get around the way the others do, but she eats like a champ and has no problem pecking back at the bully of the brooder. [​IMG]

Last night, I noticed that while we had been fussing over Camille, one of three day old buffs was quietly wasting away. I gave her some sweetened water for energy to stimulate her appetite and tried to tempt her with some honeyed chick mash but, although still fairly strong, she had no interest in eating.

This morning I found little Dot on the floor of the brooder and she had rounded the bend beyond the point of help. [​IMG]

This was our first mail order "factory" hatchery purchase and almost certainly our last. All the living creatures we as people have responsibility for should be treated with dignity, as they're God's handiwork, and we've seen that these large factory style hatcheries just don't offer that to these poor babies. :|

2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I'm sorry, its always hard to lose a sweet little chick. [​IMG]

3. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Aww, I'm sorry Dot passed away. And, I'm sorry that your chick-ordering experience was ruined by a big factory farm. =[ I got my current chicks from X-Treme Gamebirds, and I know for a fact that the owners packed the chicks themselves when they shipped out. If you don't want one of those huge hatcheries, but still need to mail-order chicks in the future, I'd recommend X-Treme. John even described to me how to tell which breeds were which, and said that I could email him pics and they'd tell us if we were correct.

It's nice that little Camille is pulling through! I read your post about her before, and it tugged on my heartstrings. And, at least your other chicks are pulling through!

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear you lost Dot. Hope Camille continues to improve. Good luck.

5. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    So sorry to hear about the one --but thankful you have helped the other !!
    Sometimes getting chicks from a big hatchery is a big tear jerker when they come with problems or are hurt through the mail service traumas!

I do not go that route anymore--we hatched through a friend then-have bought some of local farms.

Good luck with the others!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by