Happy now, Greyfields? I broke down & bought meat birds (new Question)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dangerouschicken, Jun 5, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I was milling about the feed & seed, as I am known to do on a Thursday morning, and they just got in a mega-shipment of Cornish Xs for $1.75 a piece. OH MAN!

Since my husband and I are on this personal challenge where we are going to try living strictly from our own homegrown food for three months (JulyAugSept), I thought, I better get some meat birds TODAY. It was like a sign from God. I mean, I was there, they were there, and it was destiny.

So I bought 10.

They get nice and plump, right?... not all skinny like my Leghorn cockerels. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    They had better not end up all skinny like Leghorn cockerels. If they do I would be talking to feed store, and asking them whats up. [​IMG] No Seriously, they should grow very well for you. Hope it goes good for you.

3. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks! [​IMG] Do you think 7 weeks is a good butcher age?

4. Jades Chickens

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well 7 weeks would probably be ok. They might be a little small though. We always kept them probably longer than we should have. Like 12 weeks. We liked big birds. The problem with keeping them to long is you could end up having a problem with heart attacks. Another problem with keeping them to long is you use alot more feed for not as much weight.

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    So maybe 8 or 9 weeks? I don't want them to die before their time.....

6. Jades Chickens

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    I would say between 8 and 9 weeks would probably be just about right.

7. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    We have a winner! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    You will see daily growth with them. I butchered my at 9 and 11 weeks. They were big, real big. Legs, thighs and breasts weighed in at 4lbs. But letting them grow out to 11 weeks is really too long. 8 to 10 weeks is ideal. Besides, you don't want the extra couple weeks of their stink and boy do they stink.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you keep them heated, fed and confined, 42 days. If you grow them more naturally in a tractor with some sunlight, then 8 weeks. I'm proud of you. I can only eat my own chicken anymore and find everything else to just be garbage.

Eat higher quality meat less often.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am working on a rooster then I will start in on my mom with meat chickens and turkeyes she says we have enough chickens now she doesn't know the half of it !!! [​IMG] I want meat birds, layers, & turkeyes ! I would love to be able to eat only from my yard and a mile around my house and I plan on it when I am older !

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by