Happy now Sad- five button quail hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Only five out of 25 eggs. However, I went to bed at midnight last night with five babies drying in the incubator....and woke up to one.
    Someone must have opened my incubator- my two daughters have two friends staying the night. My daughter may have done it. She will deny it, of course. She wouldnt have realized that the babies are so much faster than chicken chicks- and I am sure they popped out and were gone. I cant blame an animal because the top to the incubator was perfectly lined up and looked like it hadnt been touched at all.

I found one baby on the table where the incubator is, and plopped it back into the incubator. However the rest are completely gone. With the dogs and cats here, I know I won't find them.

edit to add: Happy update- they have been found [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!!! [​IMG] Maybe you should have a talk with your daughter! So you think they opened it and left it open? And that's how they got out? I would tell her that 4 "disappeared" and that you hope she knows how sad that makes you. Explain to her how quick they are and how important it is to keep the "bator" closed!

That's what I would do. Again, I am so sorry this happened. [​IMG]

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Oh I was ready to wake them all up and line them up in the kitchen and ask them who wants to be the first one to feed the remaining babies to the dog, since they had done so with the others....but, again, its early and i was so sad, and I am evil in the morning- however, I have an update!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just now found the remaining missing three...behind my box of business cards, in my little curio/shelf/organizer thing (the top to a roll-top desk) on my kitchen table!!!! YAY for brave little babies who ran and hid and kept themselves warm!!!

They are all now in a ten gallon aquarium with a ceramic heat emitter, food and water- and I shall watch the faces of the children when they wake up to see who looks surprised to see them.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm glad you found them safe and sound! [​IMG]
    I hope there are no problems that arise due to them having been out.

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Awesome!!! [​IMG] I am so happy you found them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by