Happy Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Otter22, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Otter22

Otter22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Northern California
    I was looking around Quail lady's website she has a lot of really great information and lots of wonderful photo's. I was reading about how she keeps her Coturnix on wire but with a cat litter box with some pine shavings for her birds to nest and relax in. I was out and about today and thought I'd pick up a litter box and try it out I added some play sand to the pine shaving and man are my birds happy. They jumped right in the box and stated dust bathing and snuggling in the box. I have 6 quail in the cage and they were all in there having a great time. It was not long before I had three eggs in there with them. It was so nice to see them all so happy and enjoying themselves.

John

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yes John, Quail Lady's web site is very well done!

Coturnix quail love their dust bath [​IMG]
    It is a social thing with them. My birds have 30%GBS pretty much 24/7, and there are the ones that can't wait for fresh food (provided daily), but there are others that can't wait for their fresh sand (also provided daily).

I'm pretty much a minimalist as far as treats go, but a dust pan is a must!

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I put a little tupperware thing of playsand in my brooder box yesterday because I don't know how young they start using it, noone started rolling in it but they were sleeping in it, and scratching around in it.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use cut off milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets for mine to dustbathe. I had to do this, because they would dustbathe in their grit which is a lot more expensive than sand. You can also use dirt, but it stirs up dust and gets in their waterer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. chickhopeful12

chickhopeful12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    I have a large dust bath outside in my large pen. However for my breeder cages that are stacked, I like the rabbit litter pans that clip to the corner of the cage. They have a high back so there is not a lot of mess. I put sand in the outside one and pine shavings in the inside ones. They snuggle in there and are totally content. [​IMG]

I agree with you as well in regards to the quail lady's site. I bought a quad of corturnix from her and I couldn't be more happy with them. She is an excellent person to do business with and a great resource.

Have a great day everyone~Is it almost Friday??

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I use Kitten litter boxes for the larger grow out cages, top cut off of Kleenex boxes or bottom 4" of a cat litter plastic bucket for the Breeder Cages. A Mix of sand, DE, Oyster Shell and crushed dried egg shells. Oh what fun and a must have.

But do watch that all are allowed into the sandbox. I have one big girl that sometimes doesn't like to share her personal palace lounge. [​IMG]

I do have trouble when refilling and putting them back in the pens. All of a sudden the box gets heavy. I get it in, look and 4-6 will already be stuffed in it like a can of sardines. They don't bother waiting for me to set the thing down. It's "let the games begin". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by