Happy Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Dec 17, 2013.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    How do you know when your quail are happy and not stressed out?

Mine that got got yesterday seem to all huddle together and sit down, or crawl under one another and sit. Looks like they are just trying to stay warmer. They are about 6 months old... They seem to love sitting under the light from the heat lamp that's outside the cage some... They just sit quietly, like they are content... but they don't make any noises or anything. Just sitting all huddled together...

Sam question about baby quail when they hatch and are in the brooder.. I don't have any yet, but when I do, should they all be walking around spread out, or should the all bundle up together?

2. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

the huddling is a natural behaviour, especially if it is cold, they will form 'rafts' or 'coveys' and huddle together facing the wind/snow/etc. this can help with group bonding

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They should spread out pretty evenly when the temperature is adequate (chicks). Adults will do what they need/want to do for their own well being. What kind of quail and how cold is it outside? My quail never see a heat lamp after 4-6 weeks old. Its usually a few degrees over freezing here during winter nights (my coldest time). I block out all the drafts with plastic sheeting.

4. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    its just cool tonight, not cold. I turned off the heat lamp and just turned on a light. I'm probably just babying the birds cuz they are new. The longer I spend time with them the more hearty they seem, They probably don't need any kind of heat lamp. I may turn on on in the shed only on nights it gets in the 30's or lower. I feel a little sorry for a ka-bobs-to-be on cold nights.

5. dc3085

There's no harm in spoiling them if you feel like it. They are hardy little birds though.

6. QuailRaiser

We're in canada and recently had -18 C and they were fine

7. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Not sure what that translatedbto but holy cow thats cold

8. dc3085

-4* F

9. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wow

10. QuailRaiser

yeah they are fine as long as you keep there water warm or at least unfrozen and give them plenty of food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by