Happy/Sad/Confusing Day Today

Quote:
yes..i know this..once he turns 18 in May..he can leave at any time..and go back to his parents house...thats why we decided to check them out...see how they were living now...and give him some contact with them before he turns 18....just in case he does leave...so..he just dosent show up at their house...etc..(which would be very traumatic for them all....). ..right now..we all (his parents included) are suggesting to him to stay here until he finishes school...because the state will continue to help him as long as he still lives here AND is in school, even after he is 18....but..if he goes home...he looses any state benefits...and his I.Q. is only 2 points above being DMR..so..he will never hold a job..etc...

I was curious about that? With his IQ that low will he not always need/have to have a guardian? And if so will it not be mandated by the state even after he turns 18? My mother has twins she is raising (they are only 10 right now) one has an IQ of 60 and one is (I think) 76. We worry constantly about what MIGHT happen when they are "adults".

Hi..its so frustrating..because here in mass..if the I.Q is 69 or below you are deemed DMR..and can get help all your life...David was just tested again..his was 71..so..like 2 stinkin points away..
he.gif
...and they not only tested his I.Q...they did like life skills questions..such as..does he obey street lights/safety rules?(yes)...can he play a board game which involves thinking..(he does..Monopoly..UNO...LIFE..etc..)...does he obey basic table manners?..(yes...he needs some prompts to slow down sometimes...but..who dosent..LOL)....can he use a telephone with no help(yes)...does he dress appropriatley for the weather with no help..as in..if its cold outside...will he put on a jacket?..(yes)....things like that...so..it all goes together...and we havent gotten the results back yet..but..i know the tester said..its a shame..because he was 2 points over..and he CAN do all these basic things..so...i fear he will be stuck trying to make it on his own someday....but..right now we DO have him in a trade high school...he is of course in the "special" program..and he is taking up building services...they go clean offices..collect cans...build wood projects...so..hopefully that can help him someday in someway...now..if he was deemed DMR..(which was what we were trying to do for him)..he would be mandated to some sort of care...but..i dont think they will deem him DMR..i dont think they legally CAN because of the I.Q. thing.....and i'm sorry to hear about the twins also..its so hard..
sad.png

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with MR individuals, but I know that in some communities, there are programs where he can be paired up with someone in an assisted living situation. An example is an elderly person that may just need a little help around the house, in exchange for some guidance and companionship, that is if he chooses to move out of your house, but not go home to his parents. This may help for him to gain some independence, and confidence to join the working world. Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom