Happy Stories & Pictures of your Poultry & You!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bargain, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I really like to see pics of chickens matched with their BYC owners & happy stories about the pic. If you don't have a pic to share, won't you share a story stories about those chickens that especially touch your heart and make you happy - nothing like 500 words long, just short notes? Please if you don't want to put your pic here for any reason, don't.

I'll start with a picture of Hubby who smuggled in a Silkie from the brooder before I knew it and I made so many pics of them that they were both squinting. He was so good to bring it in, It had been a tough day at the farm and he always knows how to make me smile!!! I look up from balancing the checkbook after hearing a chirp and there Silkie was. Silkie sat over 30 minutes on Jac's shoulder and it was not until Jacque decided to start rocking the chair that Silkie tried to move. Maybe Jac was a pirate before I met him. [​IMG]

Edited to Say.....I want to let you all know that I picked up my eggs from mbrobbins here in Georgia...She has a lovely flock and has won awards with them....I was so excited about our first hatching that I bought some more eggs about 3 weeks back and they are now hatching!!!!! I'm so excited 4 are out already!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I had a black bearded silkie roo that I really loved----Don King. We would play with him by running through the yard and past him, and he would chase us. He never got overly agressive---I think he knew it was play. However, one day a friend stopped by with her 7-yr.-old daughter (kind of spoiled little girl with an attitude). The daughter was trying to mess with the roo, and I told her to just leave him alone. She said, "I can pick him up if I want to." and just then, the roo jumped straight up at her and she started screaming and running----which caused him to chase. I couldn't help laughing as I told her that was why I said she should just leave him alone!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There is one pic of me with my chickens. I was in my PJs. The pic makes my butt look as big as a greyhound bus. It will never be seen on BYC or anywhere else for that matter. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Reading Gritty's post, I believe it's a good thing there is no one here but "us chickens" to take photos of me with 'em. The dachshunds just lick the camera lens, and the cats won't have anything to do with TAKING photos, they just want to be IN them.

I am keeping two chickens a "hospital brooder" in the bathroom, originally to recover from illness and/or misadventure. Their names are Fritzie (frizzled Cochin) and Yul, a Salmon Faverolle cockerel which was bullied and pecked BALD. The two of them are now BFFs and well enough to explore the bathroom. They love to hop to the grates over the two brooders of chicks and peer down at them. First, Fritzie discovered it was nice and warm under the chicks' heat lamp, and would "sun bathe" on the grate under the light until it got too warm. (Dunno if Fritzie is a boy or girl, yet.) Pretty soon, Yul was doing the same thing.

They hop to my knees when I am sitting on the toilet (either with the lid up, "busy" or lid down, visiting them). They're both very talkative, telling me of their adventures. Fritzie gets little running jags going on and will jump to the brooder bin edge, over to the grate over the chicks, to the floor, run around really fast, stop and peer under the bathroom door for a while, jump back up on the chicks' brooder grate, hop to its own brooder bin, jump down and run around in a circle inside the brooder, then take a drink of water. Yul sits on the perch I put in the bin for them, and chirps, watching Fritzie. Or on my lap, looking over into the second brooder of bantam chicks.

This is a not great photo of Fritzie from a couple of weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    I don't want to take a photo of Yul, yet, until all the scabs on his head are totally gone. He looks like a vulture, though, with his lovely lighter crest over his dark body, and his silly bald head.

5. [​IMG]
    May and I

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bird and I

[​IMG]
    Blu and my back half.... [​IMG]

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Here's a pic of my starter Coronation Sussex flock....I must say don't do this with all your poultry but these are just cuddle and now very very very big birds and I really love their size and personality!!!
    [​IMG]

I will not say if I was kissing or chicken whispering to Paul or whistling to her.... Under the age of 18, Don't do this without adult permission! Your results may vary. Not responsible for any harm that may come to you if you try to hold 3 young birds, 2 hens and a cockerel and a bunny on your lap at the same time

Keep those pictures and stories coming.......Farmer Nancy (Why do they call me the crazy chickenlady of Bowdon, GA, I have bunnies, goats, turkeys, geese, ducks, guineas and more) [​IMG] Well I guess it's kinder than calling me the Crazy Lady.....mmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by