Happy Thanksgiving to me!!! (Advice needed)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZombieChickens, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

On Wednesday, I read a Facebook post from a friend of mine, the school nurse at my kids' school. She had free peeps. Apparently, there was an Ag in the Classroom presentation, and the peeps came from a big production chicken farm. Which, of course means that the babies couldn't go back to the farm. If they did go back, they would be killed. The nurse took them to save them, but didn't really want them. Yours truly saved the day [​IMG] And I now have twosleeping white leghorn hens in my living room. I've never had peeps THIS small...they're a week old. They're in an aquarium with a lid and the light from my daughters turtle tank. They have food/water/bedding and whatnot. I'm planning on keeping them inside (who knows where?!?!) and introducing them to my flock in the spring. How long will they need the heat lamp? At what age would you suggest moving them to the garage? Any ideas would be great.....

Crystal

2. ZombieChickens

Ok, another (dumb) question....they're pure yellow babies. The link on BYC shows yellowish/brown babies.....I was told they are leghorns. How different in coloring can the babies be?

3. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I think they only need the heat lamp until they are 6 weeks old. I put mine outside in their coop when they were that age. Good luck with them![​IMG]:cd I think that leghorn babies are yellow! They will feather out at about 3 weeks old!

4. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:x100!! Good luck [​IMG]

5. motochick

motochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    aw! I love my leghorn pullets, they are more forward and interested in me (really, it's about the FOOD), than my bantam cochins of the same age.
    They're 9 weeks old and pure white now, but they were pure yellow as chicks. So cute![​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Week 1 85 degrees
    Week 2 80 degrees
    Week 3 75 degrees
    Week 4 70 and reduce 5 degrees until week 7

At week 5 start letting them out for the day and bring them in at night so they can start building a good down base of feathers and be ready for week 7 to be placed outside without heat for the remainder of their days.

Medicated Chick feed until 16 weeks, vitamins in the water, DE in the sand for a dust bath in a little tub. and a few little perches around for them to get used to being up on a perch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ZombieChickens

Thanks for the info folks!! The girls are doing well, and getting LOTS of lovin' from the kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by