Happy to be a new member!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer-John, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Farmer-John

Farmer-John Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    Hello all my new fowl friends,

My name is John from Yorkville, IN. I am a chemist by trade, but always a farmer since a child. I raise more than just chickens but i have to admit they have always been my passion. Such wonderful animals that give me and my family so much back. We have over thirty five chickens, (a lot more just a couple months ago, but it was butchering day at the farm) three coops including Marans (Black Copper, French variety) Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Red Rocks (black sex-links) Golden Laced Wyandottes, Americana's,(easter eggers) as well as a few Silver Duck Wings for fun.

I'm looking forward to chatting and sharing stories, and I really enjoy learning different ways people manage and raise their flocks.
    I'm in the process of constructing a new coop to raise another batch of layers. Going to incubate my Marans and raise them out. The extra roos will be for the table..

Thanks for reading and look forward to meeting some more crazy chicken people... :)

Kind regards,

John

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Im Rebecca!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us. [​IMG] If you ever have any question please ask.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    John, welcome to BYC. Glad that you have joined us.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Farmer-John, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you and your flock!

5. Farmer-John

Farmer-John Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    Thanks folk for all the quick replies.... I'm new to the web-site thing, but not new to raising animals. No spring chicken here...
    Outside of having a chicken fetish, we also have cattle, pig (looking to expand that venture as well) and looking to start the rabbit hutches up again... This spring we lost them all to predators..and I had them very well secured.. I'm thinking fort knox style hutches now. You may find this crazy, but I leave a radio on 24/7 in the main barn and coops, since then I haven't lost a single animal.. Not even my barn cats feed is missing from coons and they seem to find everything.. If you are having issue with predation, give it a try... I'm a believer now. An old farming buddy clued me into this,,, thought he was crazy at first.. Lesson: never under estimate the wisdom of our elders...

Like I said before, the fourth coop (in progress) will be even bigger than the 24x12 (the largest now) to raise even more layers. We have such a demand for free range eggs that I can't keep up with the customers. So bring on the chickens... expecting to have around a hundred layers before end of summer. Now that's a chicken-fetish if I ever seen one. :) to be honest, I really just enjoy taking care of them and watching the crazy yard bug assassins.

Either way,,, looking forward to a lot of discussions with you guys, and learning a few new tricks.

take care and have a good evening.

Farmer-John

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Sounds like Chicken Math has taken firm hold of you

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Glad you joined the BYC flock! Welcome!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by