Happy to be here :)

bexnd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
i've not been signed up on here long but i'm loving it wish i would have found it earlier. it's so nice to hear from like minded people. all my friends and family think i'm nuts well appart from my mum who also loves the ducks too. i have worked in a hatchery for nearly a year and my mum 3 along the way we have rescued and rehomed many ducks who otherwise would have been culled due to colour or sex or in my charlies case just not having the right fluff. altho it wasnt the best job in the world on that side of things, i picked up some great knowledge on hatching and incubation. i had plans to move onto walfare and do abit on breeder farms raising ducklings. i left due to changes in circumstances at home and work.
I dont only have ducks i also have 6 lizards and 1 budgie and i currently loan a horse after giving mine to my mum last spring. but ducks are why im here so heres a bit about my current ducks

i have 4 ducks. girly - she was one of our first and is now 3 yrs old she has always had a problem with her hips along with her mate who sadly died last yr.

darcey - she is my mums duck and by far the favoured one just because shes so friendly and cuddley. she has an addiction to cheese and last christmas sat with my mum and i eating blue stilton on crakers.

little duck - she was rescued from the farm where my mum found her unable to stand if my mum didnt take her she would have been culled after a couple of month rehabilition she recovered and is now a beautiful duck who keeps her self the cleanest of them all she is slowly starting to become tame-ish and occassionally takes food from my hand.

Jazzy - definatly the more mardy duck in the flock lol but she has gotten better recently sadly due to an injury she finds it dificult to get around which is great new for girly as they are now bezzie buddies.

and 2 drakes DJ -named because he looked like he was wearing a dinner jacket LOL mum's idea. he's a handsome boy that was rescued with Jazzy and altho the boys arent with the girls anymore she still stays loyal to him and often find her laying next to him the other side of the fence bless.

and last but not least Charlie - he is my Drake. hatched with very peculiar fluff well not really fluff it was ruff, he always looked like a wet duckling as u could see his skin. he was an adorable duckling who went everywhere with me form the horses to the shop down the road. but now he's a bit of a rouge and loves nothing more the chassing my feet :eek:\

i love all my duckies and would love to hear from other people tell me bout your duckies ?!?!?!

Hey Bex! Welcome to BYC!

You will find many of your "own kind" on here. I have mallards right now, with some Appleyards in the bator. Excited to add more to my little collection.

welcome-byc.gif

Goodness! Great little flock!

We have nine Runners: Einz, Zwei, Vier, Funf, Sechs, Seiben, Acht, Zehn and Elf. We lost Drei when she was about 7 months old, perhaps it was hardware disease, or an oviduct problem. And Neun passed away last summer from egg yolk peritonitis.

Everyone else is lovely, with her own personality.

A month ago or more we added two rescues, Romy and Michele (Shelly) Buff. Everyone is getting along, but the Buffs are sleeping in their own room at night because it was getting too raucous.

Each has her story. I'll say that Achtie, one of my most intrepid ducks, is starting to molt now (midwinter!), but is handling it well. Romy's the only one laying right now - I think everyone else is still not quite settled down after the introduction.

LoL! Welcome!
I love how you refer to us as "like minded"! How true it is.
I started with chickens 3 years ago, and got my first 4 ducks last spring.
We named them Sugar, Honey, Ice & Tea.

Unfortunately, I only have one female.
This is sugar.
She is so sweet. Yes, I too am hooked!

LoL! Welcome!
I love how you refer to us as "like minded"! How true it is.
I started with chickens 3 years ago, and got my first 4 ducks last spring.
We named them Sugar, Honey, Ice & Tea.

Unfortunately, I only have one female.
This is sugar.
She is so sweet. Yes, I too am hooked!

What a pretty girl GG, you know your gonna have to get some more girls[ real good excuse to get more ducks]
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom