1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy to have access to so much advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jotee, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello to my fellow chicken owners!

We are once again, after 17 years, raising egg chickens . I have 8 hens, 4 different breeds. They are free range but we do have a small wired outside run for the times we need them contained. We/I have hand reared them since as day olds and they are extremely tame. When ever we call them or shake the treat ( sunflower seeds) container they run from the farthest corners of the yard to greet us/sunflower seeds. It is absolutely hilarious! I should post a video sometime. Our friends say we are not getting eggs because the hens have to stop in the middle of laying everytime they hear someone arrive. An exaggeration!
    I have one hen laying and seven taking their sweet time. I really don't care though because they are really entertaining...Thanks to all of my fellow chicken owners for your advice and any future advice I may need........Cheers!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hello ! I have one hen that likes to be a baby !(americana) I never trained her to be that way ! She is very sweet. My other hens are friendly, but real brats. right now I have two broody hens and I am in a mess !, The other hens are layingeggs in the same nest box while this hen(dominique) is sitting on her eggs. Dom. went out to take a break , I quickly went to check on the eggs , I was shocked to find 30 eggs !! aurrrgg! [​IMG] Other hens are laying in there with her. now I dont know which eggs are fresh!. Today I am making a fence to block them away from her. Plus I marked them too, and hope to fine the right ones. My hens drives me nuts ! [​IMG] Dont get me wrong, I really, really will like some more babies, its the roosters I cannot keep, I am afraid I will have too many! they are hard for me to find homes for them.

3. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    As a matter of fact the one hen I have laying eggs is a Dominique too. Her eggs are small. I assume that is the way they will stay as she is not a large chicken.
    Good luck with your brooding hen. I had a roo 17 years ago with my first chickens, but decided not this time around.

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and greetings from Kentucky! I'd be interested in hearing what breeds you have. Right now we have six pullets laying out of our twelve. They are barred rocks and red sex links. We have been getting six eggs daily.

[​IMG]

This is from the past week! So proud of our girls!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    yea, i give mine weeds from the garden when i have some and i just love to see an excited flock of 30 + chicks and turkeys come a running for the goodies :)

7. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks Red Barn Farm,

I have 2 American Dominique's, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Astrolorps(sp) 2 Colombian Wyandottes......Just today 2 them have become very vocal and when I put my hand out hey go down low, interesting. I think they are looking for a rooster?
    Nice basket of eggs, I can hardly wait!

10. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks, Sumi!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by