Happy to Join

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bluemountaingal, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bluemountaingal

bluemountaingal New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Hi. I'm Leigh Ann, and I am so glad to find this community. I have 2 Pekin drakes that are 6 months old and I'm expecting an order of 6 chicks in mid-April. I'm married to a wonderful man and have three children ages 7, 6, and almost 4. I've been reading lots of info on this site as well as other places and I can't wait to be a chicken mama! Looking forward to getting to know you!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Hope to see you in the duck section [​IMG]. Are you planning on mixing the drakes and chicks when they are older?

3. bluemountaingal

bluemountaingal New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks! I don't know about mixing. I suppose we'll see how it goes. My dominant drake can get a little feisty sometimes with his brother so it will depend on his behavior. Long term I hope to get some girls for them, but right now it's just the two of them. We will be moving mid-summer to a farm so separation shouldn't be an issue.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally wouldn't risk it. Any breeding at all to your hens could cause some serious damage to them or even death. Many people have kept a same sex pair of ducks myself included. I kept a pair of drakes for almost 3 years before I added any females. Once I added females it did seem to change their personality towards each other though.

5. bluemountaingal

bluemountaingal New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Changed their personality in a good way or bad way? Right now Percy (dominant drake) pretty much treats Piper like he's a hen. Piper doesn't seem to mind too much though he's always been the underdog. They get along for the most part though.

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    It was in a negative way. They became very territorial towards each other when females were introduced.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bluemountaingal, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Good luck to you, your ducks, and your chicks!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck with your chicks, and heed the advice about not mixing drakes and chicken hens.

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by