Happy "trilling" sound my little ones are making...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wynette, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got an 8-week old Wheaten Penedesenca pullet with two 5-week old Ameraucana....chicks. Not sure on their genders yet, will post pics & ask opinions when they're a little older.

Anyway, last night, I peeked in their little pen, and I saw the cutest thing - the WP squatting down, had her wing over the top of one of the chicks, and the other chick was on her back; all half asleep.

One of the chicks was making a real cute "trilling" noise - that's the best way I can think to describe it. None of them were standing; all sitting and close to sleep. I thought it was a happy sound, relaxing or something, but I understand it MAY be an indication that whoever's making it, could be a roo. Anyone have insight into this cute little sound?

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Nope, that's the happy chicken sound. Both sexes make it.

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, good! I'm so glad to hear it! I was watching and listening last night for a good, solid hour, and I also did note that one of the Ameraucana babies made a "fast trilling" noise - that's the best way I can describe it - it was a little higher pitched, and....fast - he was annoyed at one of the others, because I'd thrown in a couple little pieces of lettuce, and they got them before he could - he was chasing them, trying to snatch it out of their beaks. Could THIS be the "roo trill"?

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That is really sweet Wynette. thanks for sharing that. I have no idea about roo sounds except when they start crowing. My youngest started crowing at 9 wks

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Wow - that's pretty young! I heard my first crow from Maurice (my only roo) at I think 10 weeks, and I think I heard it quite by accident. I'd just transferred them from the horse trough in my garage to the new coop/run, and it was night time - he was in the coop, and I heard a quiet and tentative crow...I think he was practicing! HA! Cute little buggers we have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by