happy valintines day

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by grayeyes, Feb 14, 2013.

1. grayeyes

grayeyes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    its nearly 2am and i was awakened by the sounds of struggling hatching chicks! 24 day 21 and they are sounding very healthy. hatching jersey giants
    happy valintines day

2. Chicken Tamer

Chicken Tamer Overrun With Chickens

Jul 10, 2012
    On The Couch (-:P
    Oh! So exciting! My chicks won't be hatching till Sunday, that's if they do hatch.
    Back at cha!

3. grayeyes

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    i had the same worry too for the last few days too! hearing the little peeps from their struggle into life has relieved me alot. till saturday i am using a still air incubator and a few times my thermostat showed 104 degrees f, and i was worried i might of boiled them in their own shells, im so relieved now.

4. Chicken Tamer

Jul 10, 2012
    Happy to hear they are hatching! I love Jersey Giants! They are so beautiful! I will be hatching Lavender Orpingtons and Giant Cochins. I am hatching them for the younger kids class at my school.

5. grayeyes

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    i just looked at my calendar and see that 1 of my hens are scheduled too hatch sunday as well

6. Chicken Tamer

Jul 10, 2012
    That's is awesome! Keep me posted :) What else are you hatching? Or is it just Jersey Giants?

7. grayeyes

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    at the moment till they start generating some money. but i have both the blac and white breeds, and im currently trying too make some blues as well.
    after they self sustain themselves i plan on breeding the pheonix breed. i will be dealing mostly the more rare breeds, in the later future. but my giants are free range birds and both the meat and eggs are delicious

8. Chicken Tamer

Jul 10, 2012
    I thought Jersey Giants weren't the best breed to eat?

9. grayeyes

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    jersey giants are a dual purpose bird. and when a hen wheighs an average of 12 1/2 lbs, thats a pretty meaty bird. i get too thinking about chicken and dumplings sometimes! butt anyhow it takes 6 to 9 months for them too get at slaughter age, otherwise they are mostly bone. this breed is about patience and is on the the top 200 club for 1 of the tastiest meats of the world. their eggs are also one of the best tasting eggs i have ever tasted.

10. grayeyes

Oct 6, 2011
    sanata fe texas
    its nearly 2am and i was awakened by the sounds of struggling hatching chicks! 24 day 21 and they are sounding very healthy. hatching jersey giants
    happy valintines day[/quot

whelp 6 hrs later and so far there are 7 peepers with breeth holes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by