Happy Washington Chickens!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by UrbanChickenMama, Dec 28, 2008.

1. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My girls were sooo happy this morning when they came out of their coop and the foot and a half of snow had finally melted off in most of the yard! They are out there, filthy (gave themselves a mud bath), digging for worms and bugs, and happy as clams!

I'd take pics, but DH has my camera on a roadtrip... just had to share. [​IMG]

If I had a picture the chickens would look like this: [​IMG]

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww....poor chickies must be so thrilled to be out!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, perhaps for now the snow is over and now you can look forward to freezing rain for the next 4 months.

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL

Mine were out in the rain and now 4 inches of slush today. They took the venture... and camped out on the front porch giving us lots of shoe gifts. [​IMG]

I've never seen freezing rain till I drove though portland at the absolute worst time on I5! It amused me to no end how it just bounced off my face while I was trying to scrape it off the windshield. I don't think we normally get freezing rain here since it's warmer air.

5. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:ha! Well aren't you just so encouraging?!? [​IMG]

Its actually the freezing rain that finally did them in. They were coming out in the snow just fine. They came out the next morning after that first 8" of snow was covered by 1/2 inch of ice and looked like Bambi on ice. I had to rescue them and they wouldn't venture back out of the coop again unless I shoveled to bare ground. HA!

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    how funny.. I bet my girls would love this weather.. I am glad it is going the way it is... I mean I am only here for 10 days and I get rain,snow, and a little sunshine..

perfect!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so glad the snow is going away. Only about 1-2 inches left in the yard. The chickens came out today for the first time in two weeks. They would only walk were it had been shoveled. Last week I tried to do a little cleaning in the coop and I chased them outside. They say on the edge of the compost bin completely quiet. They wouldn't even go back inside at dark-4 feet to the coop. Just sat there screaming in the dark. I had to go pick them up and put them away. I told them that screaming in the dark is a good way to become a midnight snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by