1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy with Townline BR and EEs

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by allpeepedout, Aug 19, 2011.

1. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    For anyone curious about Townline, I am very happy with my birds from them. All were healthy, started laying at 19-20 wks, very productive, easy to handle, and I'm now usually getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from my 6 pullets. My accidental BR roo is a sweetie, too, with a little encouragement. All the EE eggs are greenish or a pretty turquoise. Just wish I had gotten a few more!

2. cmitcham

cmitcham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    i hope to have a townline order next spring as i am only ~3 hours away. some ee would be great, but i've been wondering when you buy them from one hatchery, are they mostly the same family and mostly lay one color egg, or do you get a good variety of blue, green, pink eggs?

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You could try asking for a wide variety of colors in your order. I did not buy mine directly but selected at Rural King, but they were from Townline. My buff (yellow-white-gray as chicks) EE lay the bluer eggs, sometimes as big as the BR eggs, while the partridge EEs (brown tan chipmunks as chicks) lay more greenish and smaller eggs. I did not get any EEs that lay pink or light brown. I thought that that egg color was generally not desired from the EEs. But one of my BR lays a pretty more pink egg. Next time, I plan to add more of the buff EEs, as they are also incredibly friendly and sweet, and one produced the largest egg I have gotten so far.

Of course, I have a pretty small sample!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by