1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard Abdomen: Year and a half White Brahma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eBird, Nov 8, 2014.

1. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Oh it is so hard having a sick chicken you do not know how to help :(

Big Mama, my White Brahma began loosing feathers about five days ago. I thought it may be molting, but the yard is now covered with her white feathers and she only has a thin layer of feathers plus two tail feathers left. She is also incredibly stressed, flighty, has a loss of appetite, weight, and is passing watery bowl movements. Her crop is empty and her abdomen very hard (possibly distended). So heartbroken I did not check more thoroughly earlier on.

I have been reading about egg peritonitis, about feeding her soft food with added oil. Do these treatments work? Should I consider putting her down?

Ideas welcome. Thank you.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

3. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    My local vet opens in an hour...I have already left a message on there phone in hopes of getting in first thing.

I am feeling worried that she may have multiple eggs stuck in her.

4. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Diagnosis from my local avian vet: fecal back up possibly due to previous egg obstruction.

Big Mama is on antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory, and apple cider vinegar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by