Hard ball of poo on chicks foot? [Solved]

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DaletheQuail, Feb 20, 2015.

1. DaletheQuail

DaletheQuail New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,

I have a family to button quails and last week one of them had a chick but for some reason abandoned him right after he hatched.
    To keep him safe whilst he's still small he's by himself in a box on my desk where he lives quite happily most of the time.
    2 days ago I noticed a small ball of what looks like dried poo on his center toe on his right foot.
    I tried to get it off but couldn't and since it was small enough that it didn't seem to bother him I decided to leave it in the hopes it might fall off by itself.
    2 days later it's still there, and I've also noticed him occasionally pecking at it (though it is still too small to really hinder him).
    What is the correct course of action in this case?

With the larger ones, I have always made sure to remove anything stuck to their feet asap, particually when it is causing them problems walking or standing.
    In this case I am much more hesitant as I am worried about how small he is, and how much more fiddly any kind of intervention would be.

I have attached a picture so you can see the extend of it, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I dont know what it is, but I can see from the picture his toe is red and swollen in front of it. I dont think it is a clump of poo. Does it go all the way around his toe?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Stand him in some water so the ball of poop can soften up to be removed.

4. DaletheQuail

DaletheQuail New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Wow, that was incredibly effective. His toe looks much better now! I think he enjoyed his foot bath :)

[​IMG]

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I wonder if you have him warm enough, he should be in a brooder for 3-4 weeks to get him used to cooler temps. That said I am glad you got his foot fixed.

6. DaletheQuail

DaletheQuail New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    From what I've read the ideal temp is around 37 C for the first week which then decreases steadily as he grows (correct me if that's wrong) which I am currently achieving. He lives in a box that is somewhat insulated with some foam I had; the box stands on a large heat pad and has a large light over it to provide additional heat. I do monitor the temperature and it stays fairly consistent at 30-33 C (though I kept it higher during the first week), he also has an area of Hay in there which he can burrow into, which he does while he sleeps. I'd like to think I'm doing everything correctly, but if you do have any input I would appreciate it.

7. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    sounds good. he must have fresh water and clean food. I would also supplement him with oyster shell or another form of calcium, and grit for digestion. I am not sure what you can get in the UK. have fun and good luck.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Congratulations on the foot spa! He looks like he didn't mind at all . :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by