1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hard boil fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by urban-chick-mom, Feb 28, 2012.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I tried hard boiling my fresh eggs from my hens and they do not peel very well. Does anyone know if you can use fresh eggs or is there a trick?
    thanks!

2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    If you peel them while they are still warm it helps a LOT!!!

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Poke a little hole in the air sac (the fat end of the egg) with a thumb tack. Just a tiny puncture. Works every-time!

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Bring the water to a boil first then add the eggs (I use a spoon to lower them gently). When they resume a boil cover them with a lid and either lower the heat to simmer or just turn it off and leave them on the stove burner. I set the timer for 15 minutes or less depending on the size of the eggs. When it goes off, dump the water, flood them with cold water, add ice if needed. Peel as soon as they are cool enough to handle. For me this always works regardless of the age of the egg. The green coating on the egg yolk is not a problem doing it this way either.

I tried the salt, the hole in the end, etc but this is the easiest and most successful way I have found. Millions of thread on the subject if you have the time to read them.

5. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try them and see what happens. I hate buying eggs at the store just to hard boil them.

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I bought 2 boxes of "Eggies" each box has 6 plastic 4 part egg boilers. I haven't tried them yet but they say "Hard Boil Eggs Without the Shell !" "No More Messy Peeling" Has anyone tried them already?

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I use boiled eggs frequently. Put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water, liberally salt the water, bring to a boil. put a lid on the pot, turn off the burner and let them sit on the burner for 10 minutes. While the eggs are cooking, prepare a bowl of ice water. After the eggs have cooked for the 10 minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove each egg from the hot water and place in the ice water. After just a couple minutes, the eggs should be pretty cool and should peel easily. The ice water is the step that made such a difference for me - and I use really fresh eggs each time.

8. hachiko

hachiko New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks guys for these wonderful knowledge......

9. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a pot of water boiling with 1/2c salt.
    carefully add eggs to boiling water.
    set timer and boil eggs for 15 mins.
    take off stove and put egg immediately into cold water.

This works with fresh eggs they shells almost fall off after ya crack them.

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    yes I have sorry you wasted your money. I boil my eggs like normal but in the water I use 2 to 3 T of kosher salt have had good luck with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by