Hard boiled egg yolks for baby chicks?

Pulletzerprize

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
I have 9 new chicks,two weeks old today. They are voracious eaters! Was wondering if anyone
could tell me if giving them one cooked egg yolk a day was too much (one for all of them, not
one each)? I know too many treats spoils them, but they are ALWAYS hungry, even with plenty of
chick starter food on hand, and they are getting a little aggressive (okay, alot aggressive!)
with each other over food.

I think that giving them hard boiled egg each day won't harm them, but it isn't nessacary! Your chicks will probably love you for it, though.
smile.png

Thank you all for your posts! I will start giving them an egg a day and see if it curbs their appetites a little!

I resorted to hard boiled eggs with dandelion leaves or raw onion to stop turkey poults dying of tuberculosis. It eradicated the disease. Not sure how, possibly the sulfur levels. Never had it again.

For them I did about one egg each, lol. You can give the chicks more than one for 9, but you might want to watch out for any signs of excessive protein consumption since you're giving them chick starter. If it's medicated then the naturally high levels of sulfur in the egg yolks may be a threat to their livers which will possibly be dealing with the meds on an ongoing basis. This is especially a concern with vaccinated chicks because some vaccines tend to be hard on the livers.

Great info. I am feeding them medicated starter so I will be careful about how many eggs they get because of the sulfur and additional protein. Many thanks!

Hello!!
I hatched a tiny cute lonely baby chicken! I got a small container for water and he fell in. Any ideas how to put water in a safe way?
Thanks!!
Get a real chick waterer. Chick waterers are sold as many farm supply stores (TSC, Farm&Fleet, etc). If it still falls into one of those waterers, put some marbles or aquarium rocks in the base, which will make it harder for it to drown.

And, I'd get another chick, as chicks do not do well on their own. For the time being, you could give it a small mirror and a stuffed animal to snuggle next to.

Hope I've helped!

Back
Top Bottom