1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard boiled eggs on vacation-will they last unrefrigerated?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Jun 5, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Wonder how long hard-boiled eggs would last on a driving vacation, without refrigeration? We like them for snacks, and I guess I can take an ice chest if necessary, but just wondered if anyone had any idea.
    Seems to me I remember when I was a child, having dyed easter eggs laying around quite a while, unrefrigerated. We actually didn't even have a refrig. "way back then." They kept fine, but I don't remember how long.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. Alisha in Cali

Alisha in Cali Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Reno, NV
    It's not supposed to be good to have them out longer than a couple of hours. I don't worry about it too much but I don't think several days would be okay.

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Well fresh eggs can sit out at room temperature for a week with no problem, so I can't imagine that a hard-boiled egg would be any different. It's a good question...

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    There are always newspaper articles around Easter that say "be careful with them eggs". They usually recommend no longer than 2 hours, but of course everybody has eaten easter eggs that have sat around longer than that. Put 'em in the ice chest.

On a side note have you seen the new vehicles with the glove compartment that works like a refrigerator? It's set up for a few cans of soda (or beer if you happen to be one of my relatives). Handy little hard boiled egg keeper there. [​IMG]

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
  6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Thanks for the link fowlweatherfriend...I stand corrected. I would have never thought hard-boiling an egg would make an egg spoil quicker than leaving it unboiled.

7. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

Do we have the same relatives?

8. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks for the info, everyone. Rats, I would have thought they would last a long time, really. Guess I will have to drag the cooler along. (with beverages added, since we do have the cooler--shame not to have beverages, right?? LOL

9. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Mac, that is too funny!!! Sounds like many "cheeseheads" I know as well!!! LOL:lol:

10. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We have often taken hard-boiled eggs on long day-trips sailing, hiking, etc. We keep them in the shade but ot's summer and they're unrefrigerated for maybe 6-7 hours. We also hide our hard-boiled eggs on Easter the night before, so they're out ALL NIGHT in the 64 degree house. We've never had a problem in all these years.

The published government guidelines have to be uber-strict. They also tell you never to eat a rare or medium rare steak or burger, if I'm not mistaken.

Everyone will find their own comfort level with health concerns. Myself, I'll take the risks mentioned above, but I won't drink diet sodas or eat processed chemically foods after having gotten cancer out of the blue (no genetic predisposition) at a young age. Whatever makes you comfortable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by