Hard Boiled Eggs

tinapmann

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
I wasn't sure where to post this. But what I am wondering -- is there a secret to peeling FRESH hard boiled eggs. Seems like when I do, I lose lot of the white of the egg in the peeling process.

Thanks,

Tina

Last edited:
Yes. Cut both ends open and blow the egg out of the shell. May work best after immersion in warm water. Shell expands a little and loosens.
wink.png

Bring the water to a full boil. Lower the eggs into the water into the water with a ladle. Allow to boil for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately cool the eggs by draining off the hot water and submersing them in cold water.

[email protected] :

Quote:
This works everytime for me. But I submerse in ice water. Mostly ice.

Since learning here about lowering them into already boiling water and only boiling for 14 minutes I've noticed it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I quickly cool them. Now I haven't tried this yet for freshly laid eggs as I'm still stuck with grocery eggs (come on girls! they aren't quite old enough yet)
gig.gif

I noticed one day that I cooked a pot full of eggs and just poured the water off and didn't add any cold water. Once they had cooled on their own, they still peeled beautifully. All the years of struggling and the BYC advice was great!!​

The trick that I have found is to add LOTS of salt to the water. I don't know how it works, but it works perfectly everytime

Cold water,

LOTS of salt,

put egg in, bring to boil,

reduce heat to a high simmer (small bubbles) for 10 minutes after it comes to a boil

Immerse into ice water until cool

I just learned the salt trick from the fabuolus movie Julia and Julia, couldn't believe what a difference the salt trick made

Back
Top Bottom