Hard boiled the eggs... for chickens.. how do I feed, how much??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WIChookchick, Sep 22, 2010.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I had some questionable eggs that I hard boiled...my flock is in need the extra protien...
    SO I have two small flocks, one large hens, one small flock of silkies and some chicks...
    SO how much, how often?

Thanks
    Carol

2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I'm not really following how many chickens you actually have. How many are in each flock?

I've been scrambling up some eggs I had kicking around in the spare fridge for awhile (which had taken on an off scent due to something left kicking around in the fridge even longer). I wanted to increase protein intake, now that my older birds are molting up a storm. I've only got 9 birds - 3 layers, a roo, and 5 pullets. Some days I cook up 2, some days 3, some none... depends on what else they're getting that day, and how much time I have on my hands to cater to their every whim. They also got some cooked egg whites last week when I made creme brulee and couldn't foresee getting around to the whites if I kept them.

I've also cooked eggs in the past and frozen them that way. Then I take them out and warm them a little in the microwave for those really cold mornings. The birds LOVE it. I don't usually bother with hard-boiling them, though I did toss the last of the colored eggs out there last Easter. Just crushed the eggs really well, shell and all. Oh, the multi-colored poop they had after that! I don't want to do that with hb eggs until my pullets are laying age. At that point, they'll be getting crushed egg shells anyway.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    My kids had what I called "multi-colored parti poops" after eating crayons! [​IMG]

4. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I have 3 older hens, 2 bsl, 1 prodctn red, 1 light brahma pullet (just starting to lay), a polish bantam and a WCBP roo in one run/coop =9, and 5 silkies, 4 mixed chicks, 1 frizzle polish bantam and a crook beak EE pullet in the other run/coop =11.
    And will be adding an EE hen when she is out of QT.

SO just throw it out there or onto a place they can get it with scratch?

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    honestly speaking..as often as you want and as many as you want....they will not eat any more than they want..but if you see them leaving a lot, stop...or you'll be asking for rodents also..which are always lurking.

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Quote:Sure! Wherever works for you.

I place their "snacks" on a big pizza pan every morning, enter the run with a flourish, and announce that breakfast is served. They all scurry around me till I place it in exactly the same spot on the ground, nice and dirt-free. I step back. And then the rooster and alpha hen stand in the middle of the pan and kick every last scrap off of it into the dirt, at which time all the birds go nuts pecking.

Why do I even bother? I could just hurl it all into the run, but it cracks me up watching them. At least I know they're getting their share of grit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by