Hard Boiling Chicken Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juls, Jan 27, 2009.

1. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    Trying to hard boil fresh eggs does not work! The shell comes off in tiny pieces and takes half the egg white with it. My question is - how long should I keep my eggs before they can be hard-boiled and easily pealed? I have RIR if that makes any difference. Thanks!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

What are you feeding your hens? I have no trouble hard boiling our eggs--I just smash them up, shells & all and feed them back to the birds! [​IMG] I put them in cold water, wait for it to boil, remove it from the heat, cover them & let them sit for a few minutes...then I pour them into a strainer & run cold water over them. I have never had troubles with the shells, though??

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    You know what, I have had that happen with eggs from the store too. Those are the eggs that I get mad at and then my husband gets to peel them because he is calmer!! Try peeling them under warm water

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
  5. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    That is the tread that i was looking for,
    We did 20 eggs and only 1 had a little bit of trouble peeling,
    So we bring water to a boil now and love how easy they peel

6. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    steam eggs for 20 min in a steamer pot. perfect every time

7. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Boy do I know that feeling! It's an exercise in frustration. I'm gonna give the advice from the link a shot. It's got to be better than the way I'm doing it! Thanks everybody.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:In a basket above the boiling water - those double decker pots with a lid?

I've got one or two, mostly used for veggies. They work for eggs?

Steve

9. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Waiting until the eggs are atleast 10 days olds works best for us. Also let them come to room tempeature before putting in cold water and then on to the stove. Hope this helps![​IMG]

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

That method in that thread works!! I also heard another method yesterday, the lady swears it works, but I haven't tried it yet, just haven't had the chance to... she said you salt the water, but not just a little dash, put at least 2-3 hefty tablespoons of salt in the water.

Not sure but the lady who told me swears by it, we got into a discusion about pealing hen-fresh eggs, and since we both grew up with em we were comparing notes and laughing about how frustrating it can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by