Hard boiling eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachaelakers, Feb 1, 2013.

1. rachaelakers

rachaelakers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Okay....... Here's my issue.

Every time I boil my eggs, I put them in a pot of cold water and then put it on the stove. When it starts boiling I set a timer for 11 minutes. I have also added salt or baking soda... As soon as the timer goes of I put to the pot of water in the sink under cold running water for 5 minutes.

Every single time I peel an egg half of the egg white sticks to the shell and I end up wasting it. What am I doing wrong?

Note. This is not the case with the white store bought eggs. Because I have boiled two white eggs and two brown eggs together and the white eggs are peeling normal and the brown eggs just get demolished in the process.

Getting aggravated. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I drop them in boiling water, and when removing them, drop them in ice water. Works for me even if the egg was laid that day. I also add salt to the water just in case it helps.

There are some threads linked in our FAQ forum on this subject, and a bunch of threads on the forum, as the question comes up often. There are several methods.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I hard boil eggs that have been sitting in the fridge for two weeks. Anything fresher than that will stick to the shell no matter what I do.

4. rachaelakers

Jan 2, 2013
    Interesting. Does anyone know how long fresh eggs last in the fridge and out?

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I store my eggs on the counter. I have left them as long as three weeks and had them be fine. I haven't tested longer than that simply because I always manage to use them all in that time. If they are unwashed the bloom will keep out bacteria and they are fine to store at room temp. If you wash them then they need to go in the frig.

Boil your oldest eggs and it will improve greatly. Fresh eggs will always be a pealing nightmare.

6. rachaelakers

Jan 2, 2013
    That is interesting. I never knew that! I wonder why that is. So what If i have eggs in the fridge that are fresh... How long will they last.?

7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have had this happen one time and I don't know what caused it...it was with a whole carton of 18 store bought eggs. No matter how long or short I boiled them each and everyone just wouldn't peel right...Yesterday me and the kids had a few boiled eggs with our breakfast, and 2 of the eggs were straight out of the chicken..as in I walked in the house with the eggs, rinsed them off and put them in a pot...out of 4 eggs 1 was store bought, 1 was ours and a few days old, and the other 2 were eggs from that very morning..none stuck. I don't know what makes it happen...I also let the water heat up with the eggs in it...don't know if that matters. It didn't matter with that dozen and a half store bought eggs...but as I said, that is the only time sticking has been an issue for me. It is curious. I wonder what makes the eggs stick.

8. rachaelakers

Jan 2, 2013
  9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
  10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Here are some articles about egg refrigeration and storage. Refrigerating eggs is largely an American idea and not as common where eggs in stores are fresher. As long as it is cool enough inside your home and the eggs have not come into contact with water you do not have to refrigerate if you choose not to. It seems to be a general consensus that eggs will last a little long if refrigerated but I have not read the exact science or timeline of this. If you want to store long term you can freeze.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...e-best-way-to-wash-and-store-my-eggs-H62.aspx

http://suite101.com/article/how-to-store-fresh-chicken-eggs-a145712

http://www.chickenhop.com/info/about_eggs.html

Here are mine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by