Hard boiling fresh eggs-This one WORKS!

AZKat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
I have some eggciting news. As we all know, peeling hard boiled fresh eggs is a major pain. I've tried all the methods-adding salt to the water, poking a hole in the end, adding baking soda to the water, standing on one leg, boiling the eggs at midnight when the moon is dark. None of them have worked for me. So, when I read about hard boiling eggs in a pressure cooker, I was interested. http://www.hippressurecooking.com/2011/04/hip-modernist-soft-medium-and-hard.html I don't have an automatic pressure cooker, so I did it in my pressure cooker/canner at 7 psi for 6 minutes and used my freshest eggs. The oldest one was 2 weeks old, and even so the eggs came out perfect. A couple, the membrane stuck a little bit, but the egg still peeled really well.

Interesting! When I hardcook eggs, I try to use ones that are at least week old or so...else they look like Picasso masterpieces! :)
Is it possible that yours were around that old?

My method is easy and works on eggs fresh from the nest as well as older ones. Bring the water to a boil first then gently lower the eggs into the water (I uses a slotted spoon for this). Let the water return to a boil, cover with a lid and turn off the heat. I let them sit 11 to 15 minutes for hard boilled eggs. Immediately drain the water, flood with cold water or sit in ice water just until cool enough to handle and then peel. The secret is bring the water to a boil first and cooling down quickly and peeling them right away.

My method is easy and works on eggs fresh from the nest as well as older ones. Bring the water to a boil first then gently lower the eggs into the water (I uses a slotted spoon for this). Let the water return to a boil, cover with a lid and turn off the heat. I let them sit 11 to 15 minutes for hard boilled eggs. Immediately drain the water, flood with cold water or sit in ice water just until cool enough to handle and then peel. The secret is bring the water to a boil first and cooling down quickly and peeling them right away.
This is the method that I use! Works great!

I'm out of hard-boiled eggs right now (I eat them for breakfast every day!) and will definitely try this method in the morning (with today's eggs). I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

Okay I was reading some stuff on Pinterest (?spelling) anyway the article was on cooking hard boiled eggs in the oven.

I popped one egg in the oven while I was heating dinner tonight and it was not only cooked all the way through the shell came off easier than any egg I have ever peeled. Place the eggs in a muffin tin to keep in place my oven was set at 355 left the egg in there for the 20 minutes it took to reheat my chicken plus it stayed in there while the oven cooled and dinner was eaten it came out perfect I think I should have taken it out sooner but the peeling was super easy no fuss at all and the egg actually tasted better. Baked eggs are the way for an easy peel.

The egg I used is one I picked up this morning so it was really fresh.

Last edited:
So goign to try this I just peeled some the other day and half of them were wasted from sticking to the shell

I am tell you it really worked. I was skeptical that is why I only did one egg so only do one egg and see how it turns out for you. You might want to go to pinterest to see the right way I just figured heat was good.

Back
Top Bottom