1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hard candy makers: I need some help with sugar syrup discoloration!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cjeanean, Nov 29, 2009.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Okay, I'm making candy canes, but the problem is that the sugar syrup is discoloring before it hits 295F. Am I heating it too fast? The canes are turing out to be yellow and red instead of white and red....any tips? I'm pulling it enough, so that's not the problem, but while it's still in the pan before I even get to the pulling stage it turns the yellow-y color. The sugar syrup isn't burning, it doesn't have a funny taste or anything. Oh, and does anyone know where I can get peppermint oil flavoring? Do they sell it at like Michaels or something? Thanks!

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Hmmmmm, I really don't know why it is turning yellowish on you. Maybe you are cooking it too fast or too hot. I'm pretty sure peppermint oil flavoring shouldn't be too hard to come by this time of the year. I would try a hobby store. Wouldn't peppermint extract work the same?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Could it be the sugar or water? Shouldn't be browning at 295.

Imp

4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I found candy oils at Walmart hanging on the side of a end-cap in the flour/sugar section.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Maybe I'm just heating it too fast...I dunno...I know I'm pulling it enough, that's for sure....The extract evaporates when you add it to the hot sugar syrup, that's why I need oil, Henry'sChickens. Seriously, Tammy, u found it at wal mart?!?! All I could find were the extracts....LOL, I'm probably just blind, thanks everyone!

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would lower the heat a little, your not supposed to heat fast- slow & steady does candy best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by