Hard choice, help me decide.

JulzRuss

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Squaw Valley
So I am getting close to finishing my coop and gathering my equipment, but have a hard decision. I am having a hard time deciding between 2 breeds of chickens. I am limiting my flock to 1 rooster and 6 hens, due to the size of my coop. Between Delaware and Dominique, which of the two breeds would be better for me. I like the looks of them both, I favor the Delaware but my fiance favors the Dominique. We will use them mostly for eggs. I live in CA and our temperatures vary from the winter-mid 30's at the low to the summer mid 100's at the high. I want a docile mild mannered chicken. So in your guys and gals experience, which is a more pleasant chicken to own?

Thanks in advance

Russ

P.S. I would like to keep the breed all the same and not mix and match-I know its wierd but its an OCD thing for me:).

I went with dual-purpose breeds and made mutts, then blended in the blue/green egg genes from Easter Eggers and now blending in Jersey Giants for size. (It’s a long term project as a hobby, I like fat black juicy chickens of good size that lays colored eggs)

I cant say much for the Dominique - tho i hear they are very calm and docile and were the "original" US breed - they are also on a watch list as are the Dels. So both need more fans at the moment! I can attest to the Delawares- Really if you want a great layer - a great forager - and a chicken that will follow you around like a dog - the Del is for you! Funny - lots of personality - mine a re quiet - But i think you cant go wrong with either of those!

Get delaware hens and a dominique! The dominique roos are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! Then you can have barred delaware babys! So Cute!!

Last edited:
I take care of both of those breeds. They belong to my neighbor but I'm the feeder. I think the Delaware is gorgeous but the Dominique seems just a bit friendlier. None of them are huge fans of people (I speaking only about mine) but the Doms tend to come a little closer than the Delaware does.
Good luck choosing. They are both so pretty!

I haven't kept either of those breeds - we have red sex links for eggs and no roosters. If you're flock will be limited to numbers and are mostly for eggs, you might consider that 6 hens for 1 roo may become problematic as far as your hens becoming "over tredded." The general consensus on BYC seems to be 1 roo for about 10-12 hens. Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you decide and I totally get your OCD!

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it. Regarding the Rooster/hen ratio, that didn't cross my mind and is very good info. My coop is 4 x 10 with a roosting/nesting area above. I bought the plans and is pictured here:

http://www.chickenmobilestagecoach.com/. I could add more hens so I could have a rooster, but I'm worried about space. I read somewhere that chickens needs about 4-5 square feet of space each to be happy so I was being generous. What is the consensus between the BYC community? I will do a search and check it out but any input would be appreciated. I hope to get to the point to let them free range but it depends on how my dogs react to the situation.

Thanks again,

Russ

Quote:
Normally I see
4-5 sq ft in the coop, 3 sq ft for bantams

and and additional

-10 sq ft- per bird (regardless of size) in the run.

(once you can free range you don't worry about run space, but remember you will lose birds if you free range, everything eats chicken.)

With a 4x10 coop, you should get away with 10 or so birds easily.

Since you are CA, and probably not too much really bad weather that will require them to be locked in the coop all day, you could probably get away with more. If they are only in the coop at night - when they are asleep - and have access to an outdoor run for during the day, 10 birds should be pretty good with the size of your coop.

Back
Top Bottom