1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Bubble&Squeak

Bubble&Squeak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    My brown leghorn hen has a super huge floppy red comb. Recently, it hardened a little and it's not as red. I was wondering if there is anything I can do you soften it back up or if something is wrong with her. I'm worried about her. Also, my white leghorn hen's legs are getting lighter and lighter in color. I always thought that the yellower the legs were the healthier the chicken is. Maybe they need supplements? I feed them a good variety of crumbles and some fruits and veggie bits. Please offer up some suggestions! Thanks!!!

-jessi

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Leg color fades as birds age. That's how the experts determine how old a bird is- by the fading off the legs. It is in no way an indicator of a bird's health. Combs are an imperfect indicator of health. Their appearance changes when a bird is under stress, ill, when the temperature varies, and during hormonal fluctuations. A comb's overall appearance changes from day to day sometimes. If the appearance offends you in some way then apply Bag Balm to it to soften it back up, but it is likely not changing due to any health issues.

Chickens rarely require supplements unless they are not getting a balanced diet. Most feeds are pretty well rounded and geared specifically toward maintaining good animal health. If you are making your own feed then they may need supplements, but if you are using commercial feed then it is not a problem.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by